On 07 Apr 2015, at 04:36, Bruce Kellett wrote:

Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 06 Apr 2015, at 13:25, Bruce Kellett wrote:
Bruno Marchal wrote:

To be more precise, I should explain you how "computations" and "emulation" is defined in arithmetic, in term of the truth of elementary number theoretical relations. A computation will exist through the fact that it is true that some numbers divide some other numbers, and other facts like that. On the contrary, a description of a computation will be a number from which we can extract the description of a sequence of states, but that is different from the states existence being the result of a set of true relation.

So you can use these terms in that way. But that does not make 'computation' a dynamical concept.
It is not a physical time related concept. But computer, or universal number (or universal combinators) needs only a discrete static "time": 0, 1, 2, 3, ..

OK, but that is an ordering parameter and it does not make the computational dynamical rather than static.

It does not make the computational dynamical in the physical sense, but we don't need that as physics will have to be derived from the first person experience associated to the non physical computation.

To ease the understanding, it is better to not assume a primary physical reality, nor to assume it does not exist, and to follow precisely the reasoning. As it is counter-intuitive, it is the only way to avoid the use of some prejudice we can have in such domain.

There is no change or movement involved. Arithmetic is completely static, as are the relations between numbers.
Block universe are static too. It is the point of a relativity theory. Time and space comes from comparison between clock and meter, nothing can prevent the sigma_1 reality to emulates all those comparisons , and by assuming computationalism, of the conscious entities which make sense of the comparisons.

It is similar to the block universe view in that your internal ordering parameter is entirely static. But the analogy is not perfect for what you want to do with comp. The physical block universe is often referred to in terms of two separate points of view: the 'bird' view which is from the outside,

It corresponds loosely to what I call the third person point of view, except it is not based on physical notion, like "universe".

from which (entirely metaphorical) view, the universe is static; and the 'frog' view from within, from which view the universe is dynamical.

Here we will have the first person view, but it is a psychological notion, and again, not related a priori with the physical. Indeed, in the math part we get the 1-view with adding " & p" to the provability predicate. To get physics we will need the weaker " & <>t", or both " & <>t & p". But here I anticipate.

Note that in Everett Tegmark, the 1-view is given by the relative states, and the 3-view by the universal wave, or matrix. But 1-3 view is a much refined, and psychological notion, than bird and frog.

In this case the bird (block) view is completely equivalent to a recording of the experiences of the frog in real time.

Here your analogy breaks down. The "ultimate" 3-view, in the TOE extracted from comp, is the arithmetical reality. It is statical, but is not a recording. the computation exists due to the truth of some relation between numbers, and not from the description of those truth.

That is a key difference, which cannot be understood if you have a "conventionalist" view of mathematics. The arithmetical reality kicks back, and indeed, incompleteness is a product of that difference. Einstein resists to this all his life, but in the book by Pale Yourgreau, I got evidence that eventually Gödel makes him realize that difference.

Because the time parameter is defined internally, the recording can be run as often as required by the bird, and the result (and conscious experiences of the frog) are identical every time.

There is no consciousness in a recording, or associable to a recording. There is just no computation there, only a description of a computation. I think I will have to make a thread on only this, as it is subtle and people can easily be confused. That is also what is made utterly clear in Gödel's work, but then it is no less subtle, even if it is a particular case of the difference between the number 89 and the description "89".

The same thing would happen in the static view of the dovetailer with states ordered by the step number. The whole shebang would be no different from a recording of the same shebang --

That is a reason to doubt in a mono-universe block reality, but the problem is solved with a block multi-universe. I mean that this is conceivable. No problem with arithmetic, which internalize all the counterfactuals, and the computations, by abstraction. This will also solidify the idea that consciousness is an abstract higher order logical relation, and not something produced by token-like happening.

in fact, it is a recording because it is static from the external view. The experience of time by the internal consciousness emulated is exactly the same for 'reruns' of the same portion of the dovetailer's output by some external 'bird' observer.

No recording can be conscious. Only an "abstract" person, which lives in "platonia", associated to computations, which are both abstract, and relatively concrete from inside.

Now, as I understand it, you want to avoid this conclusion by appealing to the notion of counterfactual correctness. The particular sequence of states is not itself conscious because it is not counterfactually correct -- given a different environment, that sequence of states would give the same conscious experience, not some modified experience. It is just a recording, after all.

Your model then appeals to the idea of the infinite number of separate occasions that that same set of internal states occurs in the overall picture of the dovetailer, and you claim that, in some sense, the 'actual' conscious experience is a 'sum' over these separate emulations, even though they be separated by many billions of computational steps of the dovetailer. I put words like 'actual' and 'sum' in scare quotes because I do not think these ideas make much sense.

No, that is the problem we will need to solve, already at step seven. The immateriality comes from the MGA. To associate consciousness to one computation through its primary physical instantiations leads to associate consciousness to description, even to empty one, and that does not make sense. The FPI just lead to the "matter problem".

You appeal to techniques like the Feynman sum over paths in QM to make sense of your model.

It helps people, when they already understood Everett. But it is not part of the reasoning.

But that analogy fails because the Feynman sum is merely a calculational technique -- it does not correspond to and actual sum of separate really existing things that nature somehow 'performs' to get a particle from A to B. It is a calculational heuristic,

In Copenhagen, but for (out-of-topic) reason, I don't believe this. I just forgot that you are a Copenhagen defender. I would have reminded this, I would have avoid that explanation.

and like so much in quantum mechanics, reifying computational tricks leads to endless problems.

We might come back on this. I don't see how QM can explain the two slits without some amount of that reification.

For example, the Feynman diagrams as used in field theory are terms in a perturbation expansion, they do not have separate independent existence. It is only the sum that is physical, and that same result can be obtained by many other calculational techniques that never mention Feynman diagrams.

One problem that occurs to me is: "who does this sum over dovetailer states?"

You give the correct answer just below:

FPI would suggest that there is no such sum. The future of the 'person' experiencing that conscious moment is indeterminate -- the person cannot predict the future in anything other than a probabilistic way.

Yes. And that is the answer. The sum results from the FPI.

But that makes each conscious moment unique,

That is the case for conscious state. they are 1-unique, but 3- multiple (even 3-1 multiple).

and actually a static recording of itself

?

-- just as in the block universe view of physics. Again, FPI of the dovetailer has nothing in common with indeterminacy in quantum mechanics. Mere external similarity does not imply equivalence.

The FPI is used, implicitly or explicitly, in the MWI, but, a priori, in comp, we have a measure problem, that we cannot solve by invoking a physical thing like a universal wave. With comp, we have to justify the universal wave itself. It is the reasoning which imposes the equivalence. I don't pretend it is equivalent, but I explain why comp put a measure, and that the comparison between that measure (or the particular case of the measure one and its logic) can be compared with the empirical one, making comp testable, and indeed partially tested.

Bruno

Bruce