On 06 Apr 2015, at 07:02, Bruce Kellett wrote:

Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 05 Apr 2015, at 01:19, Russell Standish wrote:

Then what is your definition of a recording? In my eyes, UD* is a
recording, particularly a finite portion of it, such as the first
10,000 steps of the first 10,000 programs.
You confuse description of computations, which exists in the "movies" obtained by filming the boolean graph, and the computations themselves, with involves semantic, that is a reality (be it the static standard model of Peano Arithmetic) or a physical reality.

Where is the dynamics necessary for computations themselves (as opposed to descriptions of computations) in the static standard model of Peano Arithmetic? I know where the dynamics reside in physical reality.

In the truth of the elementary relations which implements a relation between some universal Turing system (universal number) and the program that is implemented.

I remind you that 'dynamic' means "of or relating to force producing motion" or "active, potent, energetic, forceful; characterized by action or change." In other words, the opposite of static.

That is a physicalist account of dynamics. It could be the correct one---I don't know. But even if is the correct one, you have to agree that a diophantine approximation of, let us say the evolution of the milky way + andromeda can exists (unless you presuppose at the start that the Milky Way + andromeda use non computable functions). So your type of dynamics would exist somewhere in the dynamics of some game-of- life pattern, and would appear in the running of a game-of-life pattern emulating the universal dovetailer, which run all game-of-life pattern. Then it would exist in the block-description of the dynamics (digital, discrete) of the universal game of life patter, that you can see as a static infinite cone of some sort. In that case, your acceptance of a block universe, and the way to recover the dynamics internally would work for that pattern.

The FPI makes this a bit more complex, because from the point of view of the self-aware entities emulated in the universal pattern, their "real future" is not really defined by some location in the pattern, but from all their infinitely many locations in that pattern.

To be more precise, I should explain you how "computations" and "emulation" is defined in arithmetic, in term of the truth of elementary number theoretical relations. A computation will exist through the fact that it is true that some numbers divide some other numbers, and other facts like that. On the contrary, a description of a computation will be a number from which we can extract the description of a sequence of states, but that is different from the states existence being the result of a set of true relation.

It is very much like the difference between the Gödel number of the sentence "3 divides 6", and the true fact that the number 3 divides 6. The first one is a number, and needs some encoding; the second is a truth involving the number 3 and 6, and which does not needs any encoding to be true (only to be communicated).

Bruno

Bruce