On 15 Jun 2015, at 15:32, Terren Suydam wrote:

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 10:27 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 08 Jun 2015, at 20:50, Terren Suydam wrote:

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 08 Jun 2015, at 15:58, Terren Suydam wrote:

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 04 Jun 2015, at 18:01, Terren Suydam wrote:

OK, so given a certain interpretation, some scholars added two hypostases to the original three.

It is very natural to do. The ennead VI.1 describes the three "initial hypostases", and the subject of what is matter, notably the intelligible matter and the sensible matter, is the subject of the ennead II.4.

It is a simplification of vocabulary, more than another interpretation.

Then, it appears that you make a third interpretation by splitting the intellect, and the two matters.
What justifies these splits?

I am not sure I understand? Plotinus splits them too, as they are different subject matter. The "intellect" is the nous, the worlds of idea, and here the world of what the machine can prove (seen by her, and by God: G and G*). But matter is what you can predict with the FPI, and so it is a different notion, and likewise, in Plotinus, matter is given by a platonist rereading of Aristotle theory of indetermination. This is done in the ennead II-4. Why should we not split intellect and matter, which in appearance are very different, and the problem is more in consistently relating them. If we don't distinguish them, we cannot explain the problem of relating them.

Sorry, my question was ambiguous. What I mean is that after adding the two hypostases for the two "matters", you have five hypostases, the initial three plus the two for matter.

Then, you arrive at 8 hypostases by splitting the intellect into two, and you do the same for each of the matter hyspostases. My question is what plain-language rationale justifies creating these three extra hypostases? And can we really say we're still talking about Plotinus's hypostases at this point?

We can, as nobody could pretend to have the right intepretation of Plotinus. In fact that very question has been addressed to Plotinus's interpretation of Plato.

Now, it would be necessary to quote large passage of Plotinus to explain why indeed, even without comp, the "two matters" (the intelligible et the sensible one) are arguably sort of hypostases, even in the mind of Plotionus, but as a platonist, he is forced to consider them degenerate and belonging to the realm where God loses control, making matter a quasi synonym of evil (!).

The primary hypostase are the three one on the top right of this diagram (T, for truth, G* and S4Grz)

G                                         G*

                      S4Grz

Z                                           Z*

X                                           X*

Making Z, Z*, X, X* into hypostases homogenizes nicely Plotinus presentation, and put a lot of pieces of the platonist puzzle into place. It makes other passage of Plotinus completely natural.

Note that for getting the material aspect of the (degenerate, secondary) hypostases, we still need to make comp explicit, by restricting the arithmetical intepretation of the modal logics on the sigma-& (UD-accessible) propositions (leading to the logic (below G1 and G1*) S4Grz1, Z1*, X1*, where the quantum quantization appears.

The plain language rational is that both in Plotinus, (according to some passage----this is accepted by many scholars too) and in the universal machine mind, UDA show that psychology, theology, even biology, are obtained by intensional (modal) variant of the intellect and the ONE.

By incompleteness, provability is of the type "belief". We lost "knowledge" here, we don't have []p -> p in G. This makes knowledge emulable, and meta-definable, in the language of the machine, by the Theaetetus method: [1]p = []p & p.

UDA justifies for matter: []p & <>t (cf the coffee modification of the step 3: a physical certainty remains true in all consistent continuations ([]p), and such continuation exist (<>t). It is the Timaeus "bastard calculus", referred to by Plotinus in his two- matters chapter (ennead II-6).

Sensible matter is just a reapplication of the theaetetus, on intelligible matter.

I hope this helps, ask anything.

Bruno

I'm not conversant in modal logic, so a lot of that went over my head.

Maybe the problem is here. Modal logic, or even just modal notation are supposed to make things more easy.

For example, I am used to explain the difference between agnosticism and beliefs, by using the modality []p, that you can in this context read as "I believe p". If "~" represents the negation, the old definition of atheism was []~g (the belief that God does not exist), and agnosticism is ~[]g (and perhaps ~[]~g too).

The language of modal logic, is the usual language of logic (p & q, p v q, p -> q, ~p, etc.) + the symbol [], usually read as "it is necessary" (in the alethic context), or "it is obligatory" (in the deontic context), or "forever" (in some temporal context), or "It is known that" (in some epistemic context), or it is asserted by a machine (in the computer science context), etc...

<>p abbreviates ~[] ~    (possible p = Non necessary that non p).

Thus my request for "plain language" justifications. In spite of that language barrier I'd like to understand what I can about this model because it is the basis for your formal argument AUDA and much of what you've created seems to depend on it.

In AUDA, the theory is elementary arithmetic (Robinson Arithmetic). I define in that theory the statement PA asserts F, with F an arithmetical formula. Then RA is used only as the universal system emulating the conversation that I have with PA. Everything is derived from the axioms of elementary arithmetic (but I could have used the combinators, the game of life, etc.). So I don't create anything. I interview a machine which proves proposition about itself, and by construction, I limit myself to consistent, arithmetically sound (lost of the time) machine. This determined all the hypostases.

It is many years years of work and the hard work has been done by Gödel, Löb, Grzegorczyck, Boolos, Goldblatt, Solovay.

I still am not clear on why you invent three "new" hypostases, granting the five from Plotinus (by creating G/G*, X/X*, and Z/Z* instead of just G, X, and Z),

This is not a choice. G does really split in two: the provable part by the machine, and the true part on the machine (that the machine can prove or not). same for Z*, and X*.

But that is the chance, beacuse the notion of Plotinus are theological, and side with the truth.

In Plato the distinction between Earth and Heaven becomes a distinction between effective/constructive and True. The Noùs is guven by G*. G is the "man", or the discursive reasoner, that I take too as an hypostases, although the man is a bit despise by Plotinus (which is normal when talking about God, by the Platonists).

except that you say "[it] homogenizes nicely Plotinus presentation,

let us say that the math shows that there are 8 hypostases (roughly speaking, as it is more like 4 + 4 * Infinity).

Three describes well the three primary hyposates of Plotinus (divine one!), and two describes what Plotinus called sensible matter, and intelligible matter, and where the comp quantum logic appears, and should apper, by the UDA.

But they did split, which is not something we can avoid or hide.

and put a lot of pieces of the platonist puzzle into place." Symmetry isn't an explanation. What I'm looking for would be something along the lines of "It makes sense to split the intellect hypostases into G & G* because ...."), likewise for X, and for Z.

The splitting of G and G* comes from Gödel's theorem. It is the splitting between what a machine can prove (notably on itself) and what is true about the machine.

Typical example: "I am consistent", it is the same as "I don't say the false". For the correct machine, this belongs to G* minus G. It is true, but the machine cannot prove it.

So it is not "It makes sense to split the intellect hypostases into G & G* because ....". It is: mathematician believed that a machine as a provability predicate equivalent with a truth predicate until they discover that provability and truth are different. Now it is a mathematical theorem that provability obeys to the modal logic G (and indeed that G is complete for it), and that the truth on provability obeys the modal logic G*.

The same for the modal nuances, which existence are themselves consequences of incompleteness.

All the math part, AUDA, is based on:

- Church's thesis and the discovery of the universal machine
- Gödel technics of translating meta-arithmetic (with notion as "provable") in arithmetic,

It ought to be possible to justify the hypostases in a non-technical way.

Read Plotinus, or any mystic remaining rational.

If not, then it strikes me as a weak spot of the argument, even if the argument is technical.

Let me make a try. UDA is the formulation of the mind-body problem, in "human term".

AUDA is the translation of UDA in the language of the machine.

Now, I ask the machine "will you believe this or that". What the box [] represent is the thrid person self of the machine: it is the explanation of the functioning of the machine, in the language of the machine, so that I can ask her question about itself. This is a third person self. []p means that the machine asserts p. To get the first person I use the Theaetetus method, or variant, and this gives rise to the horizontal layers in the diagram. The logics are different thanks (technically) to incompleteness. Then three among the hypostases split in two, (x and x*) again due to incompleteness.

Tell me if this helps.

In my mind, UDA *is* the layman explanation/argument of AUDA, somehow. You might just miss a detail. []p means only the machine asserts that p. I use the Dennett intentional stance. A machine believes p when the machine asserts p. This is enough, as we limit ourself to ideally correct machine.

(I guess you were not on the list when I explained a bit of the modal logic, and its relation with incompleteness). I can explain more (but not in June as I am busy).

Bruno

Terren