From: 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Fri, Aug 14, 2015 1:42 pm
Subject: Re: Idiot Test

I am curious.... you seem to speak of "idiots" exclusively in terms of "them"
of some "other" group of individuals. Do you consider yourself to be
potentially an "idiot" or have you managed to achieve existential certainty
that idiocy is something that only ever applies to other people? If you have
achieved this certainty -- e.g. that in no possible way could you ever be an
idiot; that is an amazing feat.... or could it be incontrovertible proof of
your own idiocy?

Any definition of idiocy that does't -- at least potentially -- include the
"self" within the scope of its embrace is idotic - -IMO!

P.S. -- I am suspecting that if you respond at all, you'll probably roast me
with scorn, for having had the temerity to suggest that idiocy is something we
are all capable of achieving; and that no one is immune from idiotic mind
modes.

-chris

> On 14 Aug 2015, at 8:21 am, chris peck <     chris_peck...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> So, to cut to the chase, when a thread appears claiming the benefit of a
> psychedelic is to work out who the idiots are, when it is suggested that the
> substance be used in such a miserly way, I can't help but feel the people
> suggesting that are the ones who have missed the message....

I think Strassman was right. You need a certain substance in your system to be
even able to conceive of thinking without some limiting effect of consensus.
The human mind has a 'native' behaviour and we might refer to this as 'baseline
consciousness'. It is merely a starting point in the enterprise of exploring
the terrain of consciousness.

The Idiot Test is a cynical exercise, you seemed to have missed that. It's a
cartoon in words designed to focus on something sinister; either a lie or a
form of stupidity. A thought bubble as we say nowadays. Just one grade better
than a silly poster on Facebook. The term 'idiot' is a pejorative, so we do
need another word to cover the concept "the lack of imagination to envisage
alternatives to the one currently held under any scenario" which to my mind at
least, does sound rather mentally deficient.

But I learnt a lot from Bruno's breakdown of it. Idiocy and Intelligence are
not polar opposites. They walk hand in hand.

Anyway - at a certain point in the presumably not too distant future, somebody
WILL decide who all the idiots are - using whatever rationale - and they will
all be eliminated. Probably by an AI who worked it out all by itself.

So

2. Idiots usually end up designing technology that eventually destroys them and
everyone else.

So, it may be that such people also receive a Darwin Award for performing the
inestimable service to the human race of removing their DNA from the gene pool.