On 10/26/2015 6:15 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 27/10/2015 12:05 pm, Jason Resch wrote:
On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 7:37 PM, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>> wrote:

    On Monday, October 26, 2015, Bruce Kellett
    wrote:
    > On 27/10/2015 8:16 am, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
    >
    > On Tuesday, 27 October 2015, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >>> so where does semantic content come from?
    >>
    >> From examples in the physical world. You can give as many
    botanical definitions of the word  "tree" as you want but it
    will just be a word defined by other words that are themselves
    defined by yet more words that are.... If you tried to dig for
    meaning all you'd find is a endless loop, it would just be a
    game where words are manipulated according to the rules of
    botany until somebody forgot about definitions and pointed to
    the ASCII string "t-r-e-e" and then pointed to a large
    photosynthesizing organism made largely of cellulose that exists
    in the physical world. Then even a martian would notice a
    correspondence between this game of manipulating symbols called
    "botany" that humans had invented and the way these large
    photosynthesizing organism made largely of cellulose live.

    > What about a virtual world with trees and observers, and no
    I/O devices connecting it to outside trees?

    > I think Brent answered this in his response to Russell. The
    trees of the ordinary physical world do not connect with
    anything outside this world either in order to have semantic
    content. A virtual world would be no different in this respect.
    The point is that the content comes from something other formal
    symbol manipulation -- things such as pointing and sensory
    consciousness with which the consciousness can interact.

    I take it you've never played video games.
    Not with any regularity. But I take it that when you play such
    games, you interact with the simulated environment via the
    provided interface -- the game only interacts with itself in so
    far as the original programmers designed it to. The semantic
    content is provided from outside in either case.

So what do you think would happen if an AI, or uploaded mind were uploaded into a virtual reality that was fully disconnected from the physical world? Would that mind no longer be conscious?
Difficult to tell because, by construction, you can't ask it. But if both the AI and the VR are programmed by some external intelligence, semantic content might be provided in that way.

The AI, assuming it interacted with it's virtual world, would be conscious of things in the virtual world.