On 15/06/2016 5:22 am, Brent Meeker wrote:
On 6/14/2016 10:09 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

Let me explain shortly. First we start from consciousness, by (re)defining computationalism as the assumption that there is a level of description of myself such that my consciousness remains unchanged through a functional substitution made at that level.

But already at the beginning you have swept the problem under the rug. Notice that you could replace "consciousness" by "physics" in the same sentence. You're just assuming that whatever you're talking about can be computed - which is OK, but it's not solution to the problem of consciousness until you can say exactly which computations are conscious an which are not. I think it is interesting that you consider spiders conscious, but not plants. What's the difference? Obviously it's the degree and scope of interaction with the environment. Which to me is further evidence that you implicitly recognize there can be no sharp division between matter and mind.

I agree with you here, but I think that Bruno has an even more serious problem: it seems that there is an inherent circularity in the above computationalist account of consciousness.

The starting assumption is that consciousness is unchanged by a functional substitution at some level. But what does a "functional substitution" mean in this context? It is clear that Bruno is thinking of replacing some or all of the human brain by a functionally identical machine. Firstly, that assumes supervenience of consciousness on the brain -- something that is not part of the definition of consciousness. And secondly, it assumes that a different substrate, one that can instantiate computations independently of brains and consciousness, exits. If you are going to substitute something for something else, you need something else by which to make the substitution. In this case, the implicit assumption is that we have a physical computer that can be used to carry out the required computations. But no such physical machines exist if we start with consciousness in isolation. Bruno wants to deduce the existence of the physical by some statistics over computations going through the particular consciousness. But this is viciously circular if he has to assume the existence of that physical level at the start. He hasn't derived or deduced it -- he has simply assumed it.

Bruce