On 20/06/2016 3:10 am, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 18 Jun 2016, at 02:25, Bruce Kellett wrote:

All these problem dissolve if you reject the notion of a platonic realm for arithmetic and accept physicalism.

If you succeed in making me doubting that 2+2=4, I might doubt even more on Hphi = Ephi. If you reject elementary arithmetic, you can invoke directly the God of the Gap. (and I don't believe in a platonic realm for arithmetic, I have no real clue what you mean by that).

I think you really do know what is meant by a 'platonic realm' -- you know about Plato's theory of Forms that exist in a separate sphere (world). Platonism in mathematics is just an formalization of the feeling that mathematician's report that they seem to be exploring an existing landscape rather than inventing things. Although this feeling may be understandable, it is not a proof that mathematics and mathematical objects are objective in any sense other than that they are implied by the axioms and the rules of inference, and are thus intersubjectively valid.

Knowing that 2+2=4 is just a matter of knowing the definitions or rules. You know that in chess the King can only move at most one square a time in any direction. The knowledge is just knowledge of rules and their consequences -- no separate existence is implied. In Smolin's phrase, mathematics is "evoked" rather than pre-existent in another realm.

It is really quite annoying that you keep suggesting that doubting that 2+2=4 involves the rejection of arithmetic and and an appeal to a "God-of-the-Gaps". There is no suggestion of this in anything I have said.

Bruce