On 28 Jun 2016, at 19:30, John Clark wrote:

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​​>> ​A definition will tell you absolutely positively 100% NOTHING about the underlying nature of mathematics or physics, it will just tell you things about human mathematical notation and language. ​You learn about nature from examples not from definitions, even the writers of dictionaries know that.

​> ​You are just delirious or what?

​I'm not delirious so I must be what.​

​> ​I just meant that if you consult the literature,

The literature is physical.​

Oh!

​> ​the notion of partial computable function, or Turing computable function, or Church lambda calculus, and the relative computations, etc. does not involve any physical assumption.

​And that is precisely why despite their misleading names partial computable function​s​ or Turing computable function​s​​ ​ or​ ​Church lambda calculus​ can't actually compute or calculate one damn thing.

A universal Turing machine can compute all Turing computable functions. And also all Lambda computable function, and actually, accepting the Church-Turing-Kleene-Post thesis, a universal (Turing) machine can compute all computable functions.

Of course, for non universal machine, some computable function are not computable.

And the extensional Church-Turing thesis admits an intentional version, so that not only all universal machine can compute all computable functions, but they can compute them in the same manner as each other, that is they can all emulate all digital processes.

Just inform yourself as you seem to persist in the confusion between the mathematical notion of computation and the notion of a physical implementation of a universal machine, which makes possible to exploits nature to do physical computations.

In a physical computer, a register can be build physically, for example with a sequence of flip-flop, done with physical electrical line and the nand gate. In arithmetic, you can build a register, that is fine a number which will encode the sequence of numbers, like using Gödel"s exploitation of the fundamental theorem of arithmetic: the uniqueness of the factorization of numbers into product of prime factor.

In the first case, you will get physical boxes containing the numbers you want to encode: say 4, 5, 4, 6. In the second case, you will get an arithmetic register coding the sequence, for example with gn = Gödel number, that is representation of symbol by numbers.

    2^ng(ssss0)*3^ng(sssss0)*5^ng(ssss0)*7^ng(ssssss0)

Arithmetical retrieval will be easy to define, writing p-i for the ith prime, like

R(a, i) = the number n such that p_i^n divides a, but p_i^n+1 does not, with a > 0.

A computation is given by what universal machine does, and "being a computation" is primitive recursive, and easily definable in arithmetic.

Once you accept Yes-doctor, it is a simple consequence of the laws of addition and multiplication that the exact computation made physically right now to make you conscious of reading this paragraph right now is emulated exactly, at the (existing by hypothesis) substitution level in infinitely many different computational histories.

The point: If you tell me that none are real except our own physical one, well, if you tell me this in virtue of a brain doing a computation, all the John Clark in arithmetic will tell exactly this to my doppelgangers, pointing ostensively on their apparent, and indeed real for them, physical reality.

If computationalism is true, there is no way for us to distinguish *introspectively* which universal computations supports us, and below our substitution level, we must expected a sort of infinite sum of computations, which QM does illustrate in some way.

​​>> ​Don't tell me show me, don't give me another definition give me an example, calculate 2+2 without using anything physical, ​or if that's too hard try 1+1. Do that and I'll concede the argument​,​​ and immediately after that I'll get on the phone to Silicon Valley. ​

​> ​Silicon valley exists thanks to those mathematicians having discovered the universal numbers.

​That is true, Silicon ​V​alley ​wouldn't exist without mathematicians like Turing, but​ Silicon Valley wouldn't exist without Silicon either.

​> ​The numbers, as studied today, by mathematicians, does not use physical assumption.

Mathematicians​ are free to make or not to make any assumption they like, but it won't change the fact that mathematicians are physical.​

Human mathematicians are physical. But if computationalism, even the human physicalness is an indexical. The mind of the universal machine obeys a lot of laws which do not assume primitive physicalness. The closure of the partial recursive functions for diagonalization and higher orders makes numberland quite explanatively close, and with a constructive warning by the (Löbian) universal machine against all reductionist conception of what its personhood.

​>> ​if pure mathematics is the most fundamental science and contains profound truths independent of the physical world why does the mathematician need physics to give his equations meaning?

​> ​In the big picture, it does not.

​Perhaps your "big picture" is just a bit too big. If the fundamental meaning of the word "nothing" is infinite unbounded homogeneity in every dimension, and I can't think of a better one that conforms with our normal use of the word, then your "big picture" is nothing.

You seem to be negative for the purpose of being negative.

​> ​If you were not stuck in step 3​ [...]​

​John Clark is not stuck at step 3, ​ ​Bruno Marchal is. ​ Bruno Marchal assumes ​the very thing Bruno Marchal is trying to prove, ​Bruno assumes that because ​when ​looking into the past there is ​always ​a unique meaning to the word ​"you" there will ​be ​a unique meaning to that personal pronoun ​when ​ looking into the future too​;​

Not at all. Quite the contrary. All what is used is the talk of each duplicated people. Once you do assume computationalism, you know that none of them can feel the split, unless you add magic. And none can find an algorithm given the result of pushing the button followed by opening the doors. To see that, you can interview good sample, well defined in elementary statistics. in UDA, both the 3p and the 1p admits simple 3p description. Up to now you argument has not been able to be clarified by anyone, and that is normal, it is just bad play with words. (which betrays a bit your agenda, I guess).

but if the multiverse exists and Everett is right ​then ​there is no way that assumption can be correct.​

Read Everett short and long version: he used that assumption.

It is not a coincidence that those who have a difficulty with computationalism, have a difficulty with Everett, and hallucinate spooky action at a distance. Anyway. You are the one using bad religion to invalidate a demonstration, and, well, that is not valid.

Bruno

 John K Clark​