On 21 Jul 2016, at 19:13, Russell Standish wrote:

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 02:22:07PM -0500, Jason Resch wrote:
On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 11:01 AM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au >
wrote:

I am not convinced that they are the only two possible
outcomes. Remember my skepticism of the Parfit Napoleon thought
experiment.

There may be other theories of personal identity that are consistent. I
only mention that there are two I am aware of that are. What was your
skepticism regarding Parfit's thought experiment?

Parfit's thought experiment imagined that you could smoothly
interpolate between your own consciousness, and that of Napoleons, by
replacing neurons one at a time.

My criticism was that I could not see that this is obviously possible. At some
point during the transformation, a percolation threshold is reached,
and you'll lapse into unconsciousness, way before you'll start
thinking you are Napoleon. Another way of expressing this phenomenon
is "the straw that broke the camel's back".

So whilst it is likely that Parfits process can apply between, say W
and M in Bruno's teleporter example, it is far from obvious that it
will work between W and Napoleon as Parfit imagines.

In such a world, there will definitely be multiple persons, who are
more than single observer moments.

I think it is in principle possible (yet non algorithmically) to transforme a person A into a person B, and this without the person noticing, by controlled partial amnesia and well ordered anosognosia.

But that does not change anything in the formulation of the First person (singular and plural) indeterminacy, or it is up to someone that arithmetic emulates too much "controlled partial amnesia and well ordered anosognosia" to get stable first person plural "physical realities".

Computationalism + the acceptance of though experience involving amnesia is getting toward the idea that there is only one first person possible. Classical (Theaetus) computationalism gives S4Grz(1), but from outside in the 3p it is only one modality of the personhood/self- reference.

John Clark's idea that he remains the one person John Clark, seeing both cities at once, entails that we-the-humans, or we-the-animals, or we-the-terrestrial-beings are all the same person already as we are copies with few modifications at a time if the initial bacteria.

That is nice, or horrific, but does not change the calculus of the relative experience in the global first person indeterminacy, except perhaps in enlarging the 'immortality spectrum' when we surf near inconsistency.

If B and C both remember being A, then they can claim
to being the same person as A, in spite of the fact that B and C are
different people.

What is the problem with that point of view?

Identity relations, by definition, are transitive. If A is identical to B,
and A is identical to C, then B is identical to C.

Then maybe "personal identity" is not an "identity relation" so defined.

Indeed.

The teleporter example leads us to conclude that W is H and M is H,
but W is not M.

Absolutely.

In the math part, let us note that the accessibility relation of the Kripke model of G(1) and S4Grz(1) are transitive, but Z(1*) and X(1*) are not.

In game theory a strategy A can be better than a strategy B, and a strategy B better than a strategy C, with the strategy C still better than strategy A. (the simplest example is provided by the scissors, stone, paper game).

The FPI, like a measurement in physics needs a notion of immediate knowledge, which can hardly be a transitive notion. I recall that the modal equivalent of transitivity is the "4" formula: []p -> [][]p.

Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders
Visiting Senior Research Fellow        hpco...@hpcoders.com.au
Economics, Kingston University         http://www.hpcoders.com.au