On 24 Jul 2016, at 22:34, John Clark wrote:

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​>> ​​Both don't see both cities at the same time, but John Clark certainly will.

​> ​This is you clearest way to express your confusion between the 3-1 view and the 1-views.

​You say I'm confused and then start babbling about "the 1- views"! ​ ​That should be "the 1-view" . I know English isn't your first language but plural isn't used after "the".​

? Even Google translate "les jours et les fleurs" by "the days and the flowers".

In our present case there is only one 3-1 view and two 1-views.

​> ​ Even if we can say that the two copies is one guy,

​The Ohio and Missouri river merge with the Mississippi and so does the Ohio, so if I'm going upstream on the Mississippi to the end

You mean to the source?

from New Orleans what one and only one place will I end up at? Or is that a silly question?​

Silly question, and there is no relation with the duplicating case, where both path are instanciated.

​> ​the fact remain that for all copies, the measurement result (self-localization on W , M) are different for each of the copies.

​S​elf-localization ​works great in the present (I know for sure who I am right now) and it works pretty well​ looking back into the past (it's hard to believe I thought that when I was 10 but I guess I did) , but even in our world it doesn't work worth a damn looking toward the future (I have no idea what I'll see or do or think next year) ; and if the world had Bruno Marchal duplicating machines ​S​elf-localization​ the future would work even less well.​

Going from a precise protocol where everything is defined to a fuzzy protocol unrelated with the argument will not help. In this case you have already agree that both copies agree to find themselves in only one city.

You persist in demonstrating how irrational you need to be to sustain your idea that there is no FPI in self-duplication. Well, thanks!

​> ​and does not address any question of prediction

​Prediction is hard, especially the future. It's even harder if it's not made clear exactly who the prediction is supposed to be about.​

false. That ois clear. the non-clarity has been shown to depend on your 1-3 confusion.

​You can't give the correct answer if you don't know what the question is.​

​> ​Thanks for showing up the strategy to hide the first person witnessing the consequence of mechanism.

​The ultimate consequences of mechanism are very odd indeed but they are not paradoxical,

Nobody pretended the contrary.

and the only reason they seem strange is that our technology (not our basic science) is not yet good enough to highlight those odd consequences. That will all change in less than 100 years, perhaps less than 50.

​> ​It is interesting how your confusion 3-1 and 1 led you directly to eliminate the first persons,

​I'm not confused and it isn't very interesting, it's just elementary logic.​ In a world with person duplicating machines THE first person does not exist.

Then you die, and computationalism is refuted, which makes my point.

Again a case of implicit first person elimination.

The first person relative to the Moscow man makes sense​,​ and the​ first person relative to the​ Washington​ man makes sense​ and​ first person relative to the​ Helsinki​i​ man makes sense​ BEFORE he walked into the Helsinki man duplicating machine, but after that talking about​ THE Helsinki man and THE first person is just ridiculous.​

This paragraph contradicts the identity theory of person on which you have already agreed.

​> ​please stop talking like if you knew that Aristotle is correct and Plato wrong

​Before it was changed the title of this thread was "Aristotle the nitwit" and I think that was a far better name.​ ​Maybe "The Ancient Greeks didn't know where the sun went at night" ​would have been even better.

If Aristotle is a Nitwit why do you defend so much Aristotle theology? Ah, I know, because you are a non agnostic atheist, that is a believer in Aristotle's second god. Thanks for confirming that non agnostic atheism is a variant of christian religion, but we already knew this.

Bruno

 John K Clark