On 14 Aug 2017, at 18:08, John Clark wrote:

​As I've said many times, ​it's always possible to trace a unique memory pathway from the present back into the past, even a rat can do it, but doing the same thing from the present into the future is impossible because we can remember the past but not the future.

But we assume a precise setting, and so we can easily predict that we will keep our ability to track back into the past from the two incompatible first person experience possible. So we can easily predict P("W v M") = 1, P(M) ≠ 1, etc.

If after a rat has been duplicated the 2 rats then have different experiences, such as one getting a electric shock and one not getting one, then they will no longer be identical and will behave ​ differently in the future. I see no indeterminacy or mystery ​or deep philosophy ​in any of this.

The rat can't see the indeterminacy, because we can't explain to the rat the protocol. But you know the protocol, so, it is only your deny that both copies can only confirm to have been unable to predict the particular outcome of "opening the door" they live.

You are a magician. You explain us convincingly that you understand the 1p/3p distinction, then you make a tun of hand waving, and subrepticely you put the 1p under the rug, and say "Voilà! Gibberish!".

Try to find another trick, because everyone has seen this one.

Take the fourth step. Do you think it is more reasonable to bet on the Washington-experience-1p than the Moscow-experience-1p in case a delay of one year is introduced in the step-3 protocol for the reconstitution on Moscow?

It is only at that step that, sometime, opinions diverge. For some people it seems at first sight that it is obviously equivalent with a simple telportation to Washington. They argue that they can even decide to go (by plane) to Moscow and destroy the hard disk which have the code of the doppelganger! But it is easy to conclude that this is illusory with digital mechanism explicitly assumed. Assumed the Russian can keep the code intact and make the reconstitution, even if the delay becomes billions of years, that P (whatever we use) will remains invariant.

I let you know that some people understand the result without ever doing this thought experience. Once you grasp what is a Turing universal machine, it is a theorem of arithmetic (with enough induction) that no machine can know which machine she is, and which computations support her experience, and that physics becomes the study of the "measure one predictable" from the observable points of view. In that case, the pronouns are defined in arithmetic by the use of the "well known" second recursion theorem of Kleene (like the universal dovetailing is reduced to the sigma_1 sentence by its normal form theorem).

The thought experiment made this easier, and add a notion of necessity, although this is not needed to see the "big (arithmetical) picture".

To sum up, you don't even scratch the surface of the jewel that everybody, patient and good willing enough, can see or guess here.

I can argue that Emil Post has seen everything, from Gödel, Church, Turing, to the immaterialism of the fundamental reality, matter as God vision.

Your contribution here seems to be pure negative obstruction, in a domain that you have publicly despised.