On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 at 7:59 am, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 13, 2017  PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ​> ​
>> After duplication, the copies will not claim to be the same person any
>> more,
>>

> ​True but both will claim they are the "I
> ' who yesterday asked the question "What city will I see?"​
>
> ​. Do you think maybe just maybe that could cause a wee bit of confusion
> and when this sort of thing becomes commonplace the rules on
> English shouldn't continue on in the same old way they always have?  ​

That both refer to themselves as "I" and claim have entered the duplicator
in Helsinki yesterday and asked "What city will I see?" is not
grammatically confusing at all. The problem is with proper nouns, not
pronouns. Legally it could be problematic, due to disputes over property,
for example, but the English language will cope.

​> ​
>> But they will each correctly refer to themselves as "I",
>>

> ​Yes​
>
> ​the TWO will ​
> refer to themselves as "I"
> ​, and the ONE before the duplication that both of the TWO remember being
> will also referred to himself as "I". And that is why you can bet your
> bottom dollar the English language will radically change the way it uses
> personal pronouns the day the engineering difficulties are overcome and "I"
> duplicating machines become practical.   ​

Multiple people today refer to themselves as "I" and there is no problem.

​> ​
>> You agree that after the duplication one will say he was right and the
>> other will say he was wrong, which is an answer
>>

> ​The only one who can answer ​that question is Mr. I,  and Mr. I says the
> answer is yes and no. Shady politicians may say yes and no is an answer but
> I don't.

The W copy will say "yesterday I predicted I would be in W today, and I was
right". The M copy will say "yesterday I predicted I would be in W today,
and I was wrong". I think you are the only person who would claim to have a
problem understanding this.

​>> ​
>>> ​Yes, and
>>> BOTH are "I:
>>>
>>> ​. And all this is 100% predictable. ​
>>>

>> ​> ​>
>> But not to the copies
>>

> ​Of course the copies couldn't have predicted what city they will see
> before the duplication, ​they didn't exist then!!

My tomorrow self doesn't exist yet, does this mean there is no point in
planning anything for tomorrow?

​> ​
>> because it will seem to them that they either got lucky or got unlucky
>> with the answer.
>>

> ​If the Moscow man is surprised to see Moscow, or after seeing Moscow he
> is surprised to be informed that he is the Moscow man ​then the Moscow man
> isn't very bright.

He remembers being uncertain yesterday whether he would see Moscow or
Washington, and was hoping it would be Washington because that is what he
bet on and now obviously has lost the bet. Your claim that he is not really
the same person the original and that the bet was gibberish does not make
him think differently or behave differently he next time he is facing
duplication.

​> ​
>> Everyone watching knows exactly what will happen, the subject prior to
>> duplication knows intellectually exactly what will happen
>>

> ​Yes.​
>

>> ​> ​
>> but the subject nevertheless has a sense of uncertainty because he feels
>> he will
>> ​
>> end up in one or other city, but not both.
>>

> What a subject "feels​" depends entirely on the emotional makeup of the
> specific subject, no doubt some will feel they will end up in
> Santa Claus's workshop
> ​, but science is about what will happen not what some
> hillbilly
> ​ thinks will happen.
>  ​And by the way, nothing will happen to *THE* subject, something will
> happen to TWO subjects.

An intelligent subject who trusts the experimental setup knows that he will
end up in one or other city but not both, and not in Santa Claus's
workshop. A less intelligent subject, such as a rat, will figure this out
and set his expectations for the future based on his memory of going
through the duplicator in the past. Even the copies of stubborn old John
Clark will come to this conclusion.

--
Stathis Papaioannou