On 12/21/2017 11:06 PM, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:

On Friday, December 22, 2017 at 4:46:10 AM UTC, Brent wrote:

    On 12/21/2017 4:22 PM, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:

    On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 11:03:53 PM UTC, Brent wrote:

        On 12/21/2017 2:04 PM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

        On Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 8:51:51 PM UTC, Brent wrote:

            On 12/18/2017 11:44 PM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

                Invariants are always the important things in
                physics because they are what we can have
                intersubjective agreement on.

                Brent

            *IIUC, the field equations are covariant, which means
            coordinate system independent. *

            Right.  Covariant means that something that changes in
            such a way that invariant things remain the same.  So
            vectors components transform covariantly so that they
            keep the vector physically the same.

            *Isn't Newton's Law of Gravitation also coordinate
            independent? That is, if we use Newton to calculate the
            planetary orbits, won't we get the same results in
            different coordinate systems? *
            Right.

        *
        If Newton's Law of Gravitation is covariant -- that is,
        coordinate frame independent -- I'd expect it to to be
        invariant between inertial frames, but I don't believe it
        is. That is, I don't think a LT between inertial frames will
        leave the form of the law unchanged. How do you resolve this
        problem? TIA, AG
        *

        Don't use a Lorentz transform between frames in a Galilean
        invariant theory.

    *OK, So why didn't Einstein do what he did for classical
    mechanics which is not Lorentz invariant, and directly modify
    Newton's Law of Gravitation? AG*

    (a) I don't read minds, and especially not Einstein's  and (b) I
    don't know what "directly modify" means.

    Brent

*He changed (= directly modified) the laws of mechanics to make them Lorentz invariant. So why can't that be done for Newton's Law of Gravitation?  Does that law work for any inertial frame? AG*

Newton's gravity is a field theory.  It implies an infinite speed of changes in the gravitational field.  That wasn't consistent with relativity.  What you're calling "directly modified" was just local mechanics, not fields.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.