On 22 Dec 2017, at 16:21, Lawrence Crowell wrote:

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 6:36:39 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 19 Dec 2017, at 20:08, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

On Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 4:48:48 PM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 18 Dec 2017, at 00:34, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

That makes things worst. Toy will make physical outcomes directly dependent of the consciousness/knowledge of the observer.

Why do you and Clark persist in this error? Collapse, if it occurs, does NOT depend on human consciousness.

OK but what you said made it depending of consciousness. There is no collapse possible with the SWE, so what is the collapse? All theories introducing a collapse in between the consciousness of the observer and the observed objects seem highly speculative to me.

Measurement is just a specific instance of decoherence. There have been "effective measurements" for billions of years.

OK. But not just in the universal wave, also in arithmetic, and Mechanism forces them to be equivalent at some level, in a verifiable way/

What is proved is that in all theories rich enough to add and multiplied distinguishable inductive termes, like numbers, or combinators, universal numbers and universal combinators exists, and we have to retrieved physics from arithmetic using the self- referential abilities of the universal machines (the Löbian chatty one).

Chert or flint carry cosmic ray tracks, which indicate particles (likely muons) had their wave functions reduced with the interaction of the rock material many millions of years ago.

Not at all. When *we* do a measurement w just localized ourselves in the universal wave/matrix (it works in all pictures). The wave never collapse. I like feynman when he describe the collapse as a collective hallucination. It is exactly what Mechanism ensures.

I have a hard time thinking that a geologist looking at this has performed a quantum measurement that reduces the wave function then and there. It does not do much to invoke life either, for I doubt that an unusually smart trilobite or cockroach in the Paleozoic epoch would perform a measurement with some conscious idea of QM.

The measurement apparatus is a large number of quantum states which interact with a quantum system in some prepared state. This then results in the outcome of the needle or needle state. Ultimately I see this as a process whereby a set of qubits, thought of as quantum symbol strings or sets, encode quantum numbers. This then leads to an axiomatic incompleteness of QM, or the Schrodinger wave equation. We then have a breakdown of the quantum postulates as a sort of incompleteness of physical axioms to predict an actual outcome. One does not need to invoke consciousness to understand this.

If mechanism is true, the theology of the machine, including physics, is "theory" independent. You need only a theory capable of mimicking a (Turing) Universal machinery. Very elementary arithmetic is enough. The rest are the standard classical definition of belief, knowledge, and a notion of observabmle based on the mechanist thought experiences.

I often gives three explicit theories (Q, SK-combinator, and a Matiyazevic-Jones system of diophantine equations).

It is part of the mechanist mind-body problem to retrieve physics from any of those Turing complete theories. The advantage of using self- reference is that we get the difference between true, rationally communicable, rational knowledge, observable, etc, but also the logic of the non-rationally-justifiable, the non-ovservable, etc. Those are not empty due to the incompeleteness incarnated in the difference between two modal logics G and G* inherited by the intensional variant itself imposed by incompleteness.

Consciousness may however be some aspect of this self-reference.

You cannot limit it to anything "physical" or "empirical a priori", without cheating, and preventing the distinction between qualia and quanta.

It then could be possible that in some subtle way consciousness plays some role in the physical universe.

To be short: It creates it completely. NUMBER ==> CONSCIOUSNESS ===> PHYSICAL LAWS

Necessarily, when assuming a precise, weak, classical (in the logician sense) version of Mechanist hypothesis in the cognitive science (not in physics).

It might be in making measurements of physics in the earliest universe. This might serve to reduce quantum states appropriate for conscious life. Think of this as a sort of cosmic Wheeler Delayed Choice Experiment. There may be some ergodic principle at work as well, where an ensemble of IGUS/ET beings make measurements and the physical outcome is an mean of their measured outcomes.

I agree with many of what you say for quantum mechanics, except you seem to believe in some collapse of the wave, which I see only as an indexical memorable happening in a machine or number history. This is always relative to some universal machinery, in a local way, with local in some technical (and non physical) sense.

I sum up many life works, not always well known like Löb and Solovay theorem, but also Plato (theaetetus, parmenides) or personal insight by people remembering their dreams, manly the contralucid one. I don't claim it is true, still less obvious, .. there are reason to suspect the fundamental truth to be counter-intuitive.

Bruno

LC