> [...]
>> experimentally see how doing so effects the resulting outcomes and by also
>> subsequently forensically analyzing any generated logs & other telemetry are
>> often surprisingly beautiful dreamscapes that are not reducible to a series
>> of algorithmic steps applied by the many hidden layers to whatever input
>> signals that have been fed to the input layer of neurons.
>>
>> It seems to me that the emergence of consciousness & self awareness as well
>> is exquisitely nonlinear in nature. And that this outcome characterized by
>> being non-linear, itself depends on information hiding in order to be able
>> to operate. Each successive layer in the stack is mostly unaware of the vast
>> array of activities occurring on the layers beneath it... or above it for
>> that matter.
>>
>> Would consciousness or self awareness even be possible without introducing
>> information hiding in the deep stack through which these phenomena emerge?
>> Personally I do not think we could be conscious or self aware without the
>> multiple degrees of non-linearity introduced into the sensorial signal +
>> triggered memory recall processing stream by the fire wall of information
>> hiding.
>>
>> It is by hiding away, by far most of the processing stack from us that we
>> experience this seemingly magical state of being. We emerge in a non linear
>> manner from a hidden world that we are (for the most part) blithely unaware
>> of.
>>
>> The fact that a very similar kind of process seems to be taking place in
>> these stacked layers of artificial neurons most of which are hidden supports
>> this thesis.
>>
>> Is information hiding in fact, necessary to the emergence of self-awareness
>> & consciousness?
>>
>> This is the question I pose.
> The mechanist answer to this is “yes”. The more you have neurons, the less
> conscious you are. The brain is a filter of the (arithmetical) information. I
> will not insist now, as it is shocking and quite counter-intuitive, but
> somehow, the Löbian machine, which is more complex than the usual universal
> machine (she knows that she is universal) is more deluded, it soul is
> already”falling”, and it is less conscious. The math explains why the machine
> will tend to believe the contrary, and why nature benefits of that ignorance
> in some way. Now, the hidden information is not necessarily related to the
> hidden layers of a neural network, at least not at first sight. The hiding is
> more logical/modal, at a deeper level, independent of the implementations
> used in the computation.
>
> --------
> In some ways, I think you are correct. One of the brain's functions is to
> throw out information that it decides is irrelevant or unimportant from it's
> own peculiar Darwinian perspective. It is a filter, and necessary one, in
> order to survive and thrive within the sensorial onslaught of reality.
OK

> However though perhaps a spider may exist in a less filtered internal state
> of being than a mouse, I don't see how it is more conscious. Is an amoeba
> even more conscious then than a spider. Is the simplest most elementary
> particle the most conscious entity of all?
Normally an amoeba is indeed more conscious than a spider, which is more
conscious than us, but plausibly less conscious of their environment. The price
of that higher consciousness is that it is of the dissociative kind of
consciousness.

Particles are not conscious in the sense that particles have no brain at all,
and actually, does not exist at all. They are dreamed by the numbers when they
are embedded in Turing universal relation. There is only the numbers 0, s(0),
s(s(0)), … With mechanism, the physical reality is an emerging first person
plural pattern. It is not ontologically real.

The spider’s consciousness is close to the consciousness of god (if you will),
but that type of consciousness is an handicap on the effective or terrestrial
plane. It is not allowed, except when we are very sick, or smoke salvia … Even
when theology is done in the scientific way, we can understand that some truth
are “anti-applied-science”, bit like saying the end of a thriller movie will
spoil the pleasure we can have during the movie.

> Now, I grant that consciousness & self-awareness may themselves be an
> elaborate and necessary, schism & illusion
Consciousness can be an illusion, as you need consciousness to live an
illusion. But apparently*self*-consciousness might be. The illusion is in the
self, not in consciousness. Of course, much more work need to be done here, I
am out my thesis and this has not been peer reviewed or published)

> arising from and within the labrynthian neural networks of our brains
Keep in mind that a brain is an emerging pattern from a complex statistics on
infinities of number relations. QM confirms this, but materialist
metaphysicians tend to develop weird theories because they want to keep the
physical reality fundamental.

> and resulting in our hermetic selves being cutoff by the very act of self
> identification from the wellspring of a much vaster, deeper ineffable being.
… ineffable being, or ineffable experience. It is what we must forget to be
able to give sense to our experiences.

> So in this particular sense the very emergence of self identification becomes
> a veil that cuts us off from direct experience. We exist in reified mental
> constructs,
Yes, and it is just the statistics of all mental construct realised in and by
any Turing universal reality. The theology, including physics, is totally
independent of which one. I use the numbers only because most people are
familiar with them.

> inside a filtered mind-generated virtual reality. We don't see, hear, touch,
> smell or taste directly; instead we experience that which our mind serves up
> to us.
Yes. There is an analogy with the Galois connection in math. The less you have
equations in a system of equations, the more you have solutions. The less you
have axioms in a theory, the more you have models (meanings), the less you have
neutron (up to the limit of staying a universal numbers) the more big will be
the spectrum of the possible continuations, adding weight to the <>t
(consistency), and, curiously enough, consciousness is more related to truth
and to the possibility of truth, than to proof and effective construction. But
we are programmed to NOT see that, because we would no more take preys and
predators seriously enough to survive.

Bruno