On 4/12/2018 4:39 PM, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 11:32:24 PM UTC, Brent wrote:

    On 4/12/2018 3:12 PM, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:

    On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 9:26:53 PM UTC, Brent wrote:

        On 4/12/2018 12:44 PM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:
        *Let's simplify the model. Instead of a Nitrogen molecule,
        consider a free electron at rest in some frame. Its only
        degree of freedom is spin IIUC. Is it your claim that this
        electron become entangled with its environment via its spin
        WF, which is a superposition of UP and DN? Does this spin WF
        participate in the entanglement? TIA, AG*

        The electron's spin dof can only become entangled with the
        environment by an interaction with the environment.

        Brent

    Does that happen spontaneously, in the absence of a measurement? AG

    Define "measurement".

    Brent

Isn't this one of the big unsolved problems in QM? How would you explain spontaneous entanglement?

I've never heard the term and I don't know what it means.

Brent

We think it occurs when we have an instrument to measure some observable, but there must be a more general process speculated to explain spontaneous entanglement. Don't ya think? AG