On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 6:33 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​
>> ​>>​
>> why do you keep asking the same very stupid question "After **YOU** have
>> been duplicated in a **YOU** duplicating machine what one and only one
>> thing will **YOU** see?”
>

> ​>* ​*
> *I asked something more precise, after explain the difference between the
> 1p-you and the 3p-you. *

And the “explanation” Bruno Marchal gave was that in a world that contains
1p-you duplicating machines 1p-you means the one and only 1p-you that is
you. And what does "you" mean? The 1p-you of course. Bruno, in everyday
life that doesn't have Drexler style matter duplicating machines none of
this is important, but when you stretch things to the very limit of what is
physically possible as we tend to do on this list it becomes very important
indeed.

 ​> ​
>>> ​>>​
>>> *You keep criticising Aristotle and Plato without understanding that
>>> today, in theology (atheists or christian)* [...]
>>
>> ​>> ​
>> STOP RIGHT THERE! If atheist and Christian scholars both study theology
>> then theology is the study of things that are God and also the study of
>> things t As I said before, for Bruno words mean whatever Bruno wants them
>> to mean and in this case he has decreed that the word “theology" has no
>> meaning at all.
>
> ​> *​*
> *I use the word in the original sense.*

I know you love to invent new meanings for common words that nobody but you
has ever heard of, however it makes no difference what meaning you have
decreed the word "theology" should have today, if both christian and
atheist scholars are involved in the study of theology and you tell me that
Bob is studying theology then you have told me absolutely precisely
*NOTHING* new about Bob. And Bruno, as a logician you should be ashamed of
yourself.

​
>> ​>> ​
>> If matter is not needed to make a calculation how did the founders of
>> Intel get rich wasting their time making microchips when all they needed
>> was a textbook on Robinson arithmetic?
>

> ​> ​
> *To implement computations relatively to their local physical reality.*

In other words you admit mathematics alone is not enough, it can't do
everything, you've got to stick physical reality into the mix because
physics can do some things mathematics can’t.  Without matter that obeys
the known laws of physics (which nobody has derived from pure mathematics
nor even come close to doing so) it would be impossible to calculate 2+2.

​> *​*
> *Are you able to doubt the assumption of physicalism?*

Yes I am able to doubt it, just show me something that can calculate 2+2
without matter that obeys the known laws of physics and I would doubt it
very much. But I'm not holding my breath.

> ​> ​
> *Apparently not, from what you say above. This means you are religious*

In Bruno-world words mean whatever Bruno wants them to mean, so of course
I'm religious, you could also make me a teapot or a choo choo train or
whatever you want.  But logician Lewis Carroll made fun of people who do
that in Alice Through the Looking-Glass:

*" When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it
means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” .  “The
question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many
different things.”*

John K Clark