On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 6:15 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> *> You ask me examples of computations?*

No, I did not ask you that. I asked you for an example of a computation
made WITHOUT THE USE OF MATTER THAT OBEYS THE LAWS OF PHYSICS.

> *> OK, that is fair enough.Let me give you some example. In the Turing
> formalism, with combinators, and with elementary arithmetic, and an
> informal one with Diophantine polynomial.1) With Turing machine, which are
> set of quadruple q_i S_j S_k q_r [blah blah]​ ​So, a computation, which is
> an abstract sequence of  [wow wow] *

First of all that's not an example, that's just another goddamn definition.
And second of all if its abstract that means it exists in the form of a
thought not a physical structure, but you can't give me an example
(although I'm sure you could dig up many definitions) of a thought exiting
WITHOUT THE USE OF MATTER THAT OBEYS THE LAWS OF PHYSICS.

> *>
> Example SS(KI)(KK)(SS)S(KK)(KI(KK)))(SS)S(KK)I(SS)KK(SS)(I(SS)KK(SS)(SS)K(SS)*

What the hell do you think that proves? Those are symbols computed by your
physical brain typed by your physical computer transmitted to my physical
computer by physical means and then interpreted by my physical brain. If
computations are not subject to the limitation of physics then tell me,
what is the seventieth non-Mesmer prime that is larger than 2^77,232,917 −
1 ?  Since you're not limited by trivialities like the speed of light,
quantum mechanics, energy considerations , the nature of space and time or
any other physical factor I expect to see your answer by tomorrow morning
at the latest.

> *> He important point is that the definition of computation [blah blah]*

To hell with definitions, definitions can’t compute

> *> The definition can be done with [...]*

OK Bruno sit down and let me explain to you something about definitions.
All your definitions are made of mathematical symbols, and those symbols
have there own definitions that consist of more mathematical symbols. You
only have a finite number of mathematical symbols in your toolbox so
eventually you’re going to have the definition of symbol X needing symbol Y
and the definition of symbol Y needing symbol X.  The only way to break out
of that meaningless circularity and put some meat on the bone is not with
more definitions but with examples, in particular examples from the
PHYSICAL world. Without physical examples a mountain full of dictionaries
wouldn’t help and the English language would just be meaningless noise and
the Mathematical language just a game played with squiggles of no more
profundity that a crossword puzzle.

>>I want an EXAMPLE not another silly definition. But you can't provide one
>> nor can anyone else.
>

> > *I just did.*

BULLSHIT!

> *> Both examples can be translated into pure number theoretical relation*

​Nothing can be
 translated into anything without matter that obeys the laws of physics.

> *> x + 0 = xx + s(y) = s(x + y)Try to compute s(0) + (s0).Again the key
> point is that Logic + the axioms:0 ≠ s(x)s(x) = s(y) -> x = yx = 0 v Ey(x =
> s(y))    x+0 = xx+s(y) = s(x+y)x*0=0 x*s(y)=(x*y)+xProvides a
> Turing-complete (but not Löbian) theory, that is, a universal machinery and
> machine.As you can see, no assumption on a physical reality is made*

True, no assumption of physical reality has been made and no computation
made without the use of matter that obeys the laws of physics has been made
either. If I'm wrong about that then the simplest way to prove I’m wrong is
to make a calculation that physics could never do even in theory.
The  7918th Busy Beaver number is large but finite and if all the Real
Numbers exist (I have my doubts but I'm sure you don't) then the 7918th
Busy Beaver number exists, so tell me what it is. If you are not limited by
the boundaries of the merely physical this task should be easy.

> *> This is needed only to ensure the existence of a physical computation,
> which is a much more particular concept.*

I maintain physical computation is the only type of computation there is,
and you can't prove me wrong by dreaming up yet another definition. And I
don't want to see another computation made with your physical brain, show
me a computation made with your non-physical brain, and the best way to
prove it was done non-physically is to compute something physics can't,
like finding the 7918th Busy Beaver number, its finite but too big for
physics to handle.  In your last post you claim you've already made a small
non-physical computation, but size is a mere physical thing so making a
calculation that is a little bit larger should be no barrier to you. So the
second number I expect to hear from you by tomorrow morning is the 7918th
Busy Beaver number.

> *> It will of course be defined only after*

Bruno, no finite number of definitions are going to be enough to allow you
to break out of the meaningless logical loop you’ve gotten yourself into.

> >> and that is exactly why numbers, with LISP and lambda-expressions by
>> themselves can't calculate a goddamn thing . I mean, do the programers at
>> Microsoft really have to constantly remind their bosses that for the
>> computer code they’ve just written to actually do what they claim it can do
>> it must first be run on a computer??
>

> *> That is not relevant for the logical point.*

The relevant point is the Microsoft programers are confident their bosses
won’t look at a printout of the code they've written and fire then because
the symbols on the printed page don’t start jumping around and start
computing right then; although they didn’t specifically say so the
programers are confident their bosses know that their code and any code
must be implemented into a physical computer before  it can do anything.

>> For that to be relevant to our topic Godel would first have to establish
>> that "register R" actually exists independently of atoms that obey the laws
>> of physics, and that register R had at least 3 places in it, and the
>> contents of the third place in that register is 5. And Godel did not do any
>> of that, he just made a definition, nobody has ever done that and nobody
>> has ever done anything even a little bit like that and nobody ever will.
>> And it may be true that Godel gave definitions of things without referring
>> to physics but definitions alone don't automatically cause things to
>> spring into existence.
>
> ​
> ​
> >* Gödel, on the contrary defines the register R in arithmetic*

I don’t give a damn what Godel or anyone else defines, definitions can’t
make something spring into existence.

> *> explicitly, and its existence is a simple consequence of the
> fundamental theorem of arithmetic.*

Without physics arithmetic wouldn’t exist much less the
fundamental theorem of it. If there were not at least 2 objects or actions
in the physical universe the statements 1+1=2 and 1+1=1 would be equally
true and equally false, neither would have any meaning.

> *> see Davis Chapter 4, or just Gödel’s 1931 paper.*

You’re name dropping doesn’t impress me.

> *> You assume a computation needs a physical reality to exist, but that is
> sheer nonsense for a mathematical logician. *

If that were true then mathematical logicians would be complete imbeciles,
but its not true. And I don’t assume, I *KNOW *that up to May 2018 every
single computation any human being has ever made or seen involved matter
that obeys the laws of physics, and I *KNOW *that as of 2018 no human being
has even proposed a coherent hypothesis about how non-physical computations
might be performed; I can’t prove that situation won’t change tomorrow but
I would be willing to bet a considerable amount of money that it won’t.

 * > There are very interesting things to say on physical computation, like
> the fact that it does not need energy (energy is used only to erase, but
> erasing is not necessary to get Turing Universality, as has Wang proved in
> the 50s).*

If you can’t erase anything then you’re going to need an infinite memory,
but without matter that obeys the laws of physics nobody has ever stored
even one bit of information much less an infinite amount. And if you do
erase things then that will take energy, the minimum amount is the Landauer
limit, it is E= kT ln(2)  where k is the Boltzmann constant and T is the
temperature of the heat sink of the computer in degrees Kelvin. And energy,
the Boltzmann constant, and temperature are all physical concepts.

https://www.amazon.com/Giant-Book-Insults-Incorporating-Occasions/dp/0806508817

> *> In your christian theology where [...]*

https://www.amazon.com/Giant-Book-Insults-Incorporating-Occasions/dp/0806508817

> *> Assuming your christian theology,*

https://www.amazon.com/Giant-Book-Insults-Incorporating-Occasions/dp/0806508817

> *> You really talk like a dogmatic believer.*

https://www.amazon.com/Giant-Book-Insults-Incorporating-Occasions/dp/0806508817

> *> It is up to you to define primary matter*

Why on earth is it up to me to define primary matter when you’re the one
who introduced Leibniz’s term? I don’t even like the phrase and never use
it myself, I just don’t find it very useful.

>  >> nobody has ever found a single example of something non physical doing
>> ANYTHING,
>

> *> Doing anything physical, you mean. 2 divides 6. That is something.*

Yes that is something, that is something deduced by matter inside your head
that obeys the laws of physics.

*> Computations is not purely mathematical notion. *

I know, that’s what I’ve been saying! Computation like information is
physical
​.​

*> You are the one invoking your god. *

https://www.amazon.com/Giant-Book-Insults-Incorporating-Occasions/dp/0806508817

> *> Please stop doing that*

No.

> *>  you stopped at step 3 without succeeding to explain to anybody why.*

I believe I explained before exactly why I stopped reading at step 3, one
does not need to eat the entire egg to know it is bad.

  John K Clark