On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 8:59 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

*>  You were changing the mathematical definition of computations given
>>> independently by Church, Post, Turing, Markov *
>>
>> ​>​
>> I don't know what definition you're referring to
>
> ​> ​
> *See any (serious) textbook in logic.*

​In other words YOU DON'T KNOW.​

​Nobody says "the proof you are wrong is in some unspecified ​book" if they
have the ability to provide a better retort.

>> ​>> ​
>> but if it doesn't have something about actually obtaining an answer then
>> its idiotic, but neither Church, Post, Turing nor Markov were idiots.
>

> *​>​Contradiction.*

Yes, and therefore we have an indirect proof by contradiction that
when Church, Post, Turing or Markov was talking about computation they were
talking about actually getting an answer.

> ​> ​
> we know since about a century, are not physical notion, but purely
> arithmetical one.

​BULLSHIT.​

​
> ​>> ​
> LIKE HELL IT DOES! The damn book can't calculate 2+2
>

> ​> ​
> That joke again.

Then please let me in on the joke because I don't get it, I don’t see the
humor. Far from being funny I think its a tragedy that in the 21st
century somebody, who no doubt considers himself an intellectual, believes
the ancient Greeks reached the absolute pinnacle of human achievement and
that calculations can be made without matter that obey the laws of physics
even though there is* OVERWHELMING* evidence to the contrary because Plato
said it could and the authority of Plato is absolute.

> ​> ​
> *You also confuse book and its content.*

OK forget the book we'll just deal with its contents. If one day Apple
decided to put the contents of a book about computational theory into their
next iPhone instead of a microprocessor do you think Apple's stock price
would go up or down the next day?

> ​> ​
> you confuse computations and description of computations,

I think a microprocessor can perform a calculation but a description of a
computation such as one in a book, can not. You believe the opposite. I ask
anyone who is reading this to explain why I am the one who is confused
about the difference between a computation and a description of a
computation and not Bruno.   ​

> ​> ​
> *Read Gödel 1931. *

Godel's 1931 paper is one of the greatest achievements in thought in the
20th century, but there is no evidence Godel's 1931 paper can calculate
2+2. And Godel's 1931 paper only exists because the matter between Godel's
ears obeyed the laws of physics back in 1931.

> ​>* ​*
> *physics emerge from the numbers.*

You've got it backwards, numbers emerge from physics.

> ​> ​
> *You need only a physical reality to get a physical answer*

​So you admit it, physics can do something pure mathematics can't.​

> ​> ​
> explain me what is primary matter

​I think you should have asked somebody what "primary matter" is many years
ago before you started insisting in almost ever post that "primary matter"
didn't exist.

> ​> ​
> and how it makes a physical computations conscious

​
Turing (maybe you've heard of him) explained how to arrange atoms in such a
way that the laws physics force atoms to make computations and behave
intelligently. And if Charles Darwin was right then consciousness must be a
unavoidable byproduct of intelligent behavior.

> ​> ​
> On the contrary, you are using Deutsch idea that computation are physical,
> which is not the standard definition given by the Church-Turing original
> thesis.

You are incorrect. The ​
Church-Turing thesis
​ says a human or anything else can compute something if and only if a
Turing Machine can calculate it; and I think that's true.

​>>

>>> *​>​>>​ ​You ask me again something impossible.*
>>>

>> ​>> ​
>> Obviously, but ask yourself a question "Exactly why is it ​impossible?".
>> Because physics can do something that mathematics can’t.
>>

> ​>* ​*
> *Assuming Aristotle theology.*

​They I guess you are assuming that "Aristotle theology" (whatever the hell
that is) is true because you just said "You ask me again something
impossible"..

> ​>>​
>> You may have reasons why physics can do something that mathematics can't
>> and they may be good reasons or they may be bad reasons it really doesn't
>> matter because for whatever reason the undeniable FACT remains physics can
>> do something that mathematics can’t.
>

> ​>*​*
> *FACT?*

​Yes I think so ​unless you can show me a FACT to the contrary, like
something that can calculate 2+2 without using matter or energy or
producing entropy.

> ​>*​*
> *you will not see ONE paper of physics which assumes primary matter,*

First of all you don't know what "primary matter" means. And second of all
you see neither the acceptance nor the rejection of "primary matter" in
modern physics papers because it turned out  Leibniz's distinction between
primary and secondary matter was not scientifically useful. Leibniz was a
great man full of ideas, but this idea went nowhere.

> *​> ​There are many level of Turing universality in a modern computer.
> Only the bottom one is directly physical.*

​So our entire universe could be a huge video game run on some alien
supercomputer, and the alien's world could also be a video game run a
mega-alien mega-supercomputer, but eventually at the bottom level you've
got a real computer made of matter that obeys the laws of physics.

> ​>> ​
>> this is a thought experiment and the premise is there is no error in the
>> ZFC based proof that says a number with certain properties can not exist
>> and there is no error in a computer that produce a number that has those
>> exact same properties, the question is "which one do you believe?". Neither
>> of us said we'd believe the axioms over the computer because neither of us
>> is insane.
>

> ​> ​
> Then what you assume is simply that ZFC is inconsistent,

​In those unusual circumstances, which I don't expect to happen, that would
be the only sane think to do, and that's why I was dumbfounded when you
said  "*if ZFC gives a not too long proof that I can understand, I will
believe more ZF than the computer*".

​>> ​
>> How  can you prove an axiom is true? You can’t,
>

> ​>* ​*
> *Indeed. But you are the one claiming that physicalism is a fact, when it
> is an axiom.*

I think it is a safe axiom because there are no known facts that contradict
it an plenty of facts that support it, however if you supply me with an
example of something that can calculate 2+2 without using matter of energy
or producing entropy I will reject that axiom without hesitation. You can
never prove an axiom is true but you can prove an axiom is false, and yet
you said even if there was a fact showing the ZF axioms were wrong "*I will
believe more ZF than the computer*".

​> ​
> If I can prove that an axiom A is false, then I can prove the axiom ~A,

You can't prove axiom  ~A​ is false if axiom ~A is not false, that is to
say if no fact exists that could contradict it; or at least you'd better
hope you can't prove it because if you can then you're entire logical
system is worthless.
​

 John K Clark​