On 15 June 2018 at 23:57,  <agrayson2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 11:45:43 AM UTC, telmo_menezes wrote:

>> > Call it what you want, it comes to the same thing; universes created by
>> > trivial quantum experiments by Joe the Plumber.
>>
>> You are using emotionally-charged language to convince yourself that
>> it is absurd: "universes created" and "Joe the Plumber".
>>
>> The MWI only proposes that the universe is even bigger than we can
>> perceive.
>

> Incorrect. AG
>

>> Joe the Plumber, or Dr. Joe the Prestigious Person, or an
>> amoeba do not "create universes" in some christian god-like sense.
>> They simply find themselves in a certain place, from their first
>> person perspective.
>

> Another universe comes into existence when Joe the Plumber performs, say, a
> spin measurement. If he doesn't do the experiment, that universe would NOT
> come into existence. So it is correct to say that under the MWI decisions by
> human beings create universes.

One hour ago I had coffee. You are now in universe U, where I had
coffee. Hadn't I had coffee this morning, you would now be in universe
U', where I didn't have coffee. I guess you could say that I created
universe U, but I don't think I will be worshiped has a god any time
soon.

> If this isn't absurd hubris, I don't know
> what is. AG

This "hubris" thing is an emotional reaction on your part. Science
must be detached from such matters. The only thing that matters is
weather empirical observations confirm or refute a theory. As John
Clark said, with quantum mechanics there is no hope of finding a
non-crazy explanation. The empirical observations surrounding quantum
events have refuted all "common sense" theories a long time ago.