On 6/27/2018 2:02 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

    Which is certainly shorter than providing a degree 4 universal
    Diophantine equation, like below (I can’t resist):

    (unknowns range on the non negative integers (= 0 included)
    31 unknowns: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q,
    R, S, T, W, Z, U, Y, Al, Ga, Et, Th, La, Ta, Ph, and two
    parameters:  Nu and X.

    X is in W_Nu iff   phi_Nu(X) stop if and only if

I don't quite follow what W_Nu is here.

The domain of the function phi_Nu. Nu is just a natural number, and phi_i is an enumeration of all partial computable functions. You can generate it by generating all programs (of one variable) in any programming language.

I am guessing from the context that this means for a given machine/program Nu, and input X, this equation has a solution IFF Nu halts given X as input, but I am not sure what it means to say X is in W_Nu.

You got it. It means nothing more than the Nu-th program P_Nu (or simply Nu) stops on input X. It can be proved that the W_i (the domain of the phi_i) enumerates all recursively enumerable set.

You seem to have shifted from the Diophantine equations to an enumerated set of all partial functions.  Just to check that I understand the universal Diophantine equation: If I specify a value of Nu then there is an X for which the equations have a solution in terms of the 31 unknowns, and the relation Nu -> X instantiates all recursively enumerable functions (that's the sense in which the equations are universal)?