On 7/10/2018 3:01 PM, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:
*IIRC, the above quote is also in the Wiki article. It's not a coherent argument; not even an argument but an ASSERTION. Let's raise the level of discourse. It says we always get a or b, no intermediate result when the system is in a superposition of states A and B.. Nothing new here. Key question: why does this imply the system is in states A and B SIMULTANEOUSLY before the measurement? AG *

Because, in theory and in some cases in practice, there is a direct measurement of the superposition state, call it C, such that you can directly measure C and always get c, but when you have measured and confirmed the system is in state c and then you measure A/B you get a or b at random.   The easiest example is SG measurements of sliver atom spin orientation where spin UP can be measured left/right and get a LEFT or a RIGHT at random, but it can be measured up/down and you always get UP.  Any particular  orientation can be /written/ as a superposition of two orthogonal states.

This is true in general.  Any state can be written as a superposition of states in some other basis.  But it is not generally true that we can prepare or directly measure a system in any given state.  So those states we can't directly access, we tend to think of them as existing only as superpositions of states we can prepare.