> On 11 Sep 2018, at 03:11, Philip Thrift <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> 
> 
> On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 4:11:46 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:
> 
> I can argue that the Church-Turing thesis entails the falsity of the physical 
> Church-Turing thesis, even without postulating Mechanism.
> If we are machine, then we can exploit the computations which supports us 
> below our substitution level to mimic in real time processes which are not 
> rulable in real time by any classical computer.
> Might say more on this if asked. That has been explained already in this list 
> more than once. Deutsch assume a primitive physical reality. That is coherent 
> with the CT part of mechanism, but not the YD part (the yes doctor, the first 
> person indeterminacy). Mechanism is CT + YD. It leads to a constructive 
> reduction of the mind-body problem to a deduction of the laws of physics from 
> machine theology or machine self-reference if you prefer. And its works, the 
> physics deduced until now, even if quite modest, is already enough quantum 
> like to cast light on the origin of the measure on the computation/sigma_1 
> sentences. Not yet that much as to be able to derive Gleason theorem, though, 
> but that is just complicated. To refute mechanism, we should have a proof 
> that such measure does not exist.
> 
> Bruno
> 
> 
>  
> 
> I still think we just don't know what computation completely means in the 
> material world (what I have called synthetic pancomputationalism [1]). In 
> particular, possibly the brain (neural material) is not a digital or an 
> analog or a hyper computer, but a novel kind of computer (cf. references in 
> [2]).

The notion of computability is the most successful epistemological notion ever 
defined in mathematics, thanks to the Church thesis. I might take a look on 
your link, but usually I am not convinced by any non standard notion of 
computations, which show very often that the authors have not grasped Church’s 
thesis.
Then, in the mind-body problem studies, I think it is better to be neutral on 
the ontology. I do not postulate a physical universe. It is part of what I am 
interested in explaining. 

Bruno


> 
> 
> 
> [1]  
> https://codicalist.wordpress.com/2018/04/07/synthetic-pancomputationalism/
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gualtiero_Piccinini
> 
> - Philip Thrift
> 
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Everything List" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to [email protected] 
> <mailto:[email protected]>.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected] 
> <mailto:[email protected]>.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/everything-list 
> <https://groups.google.com/group/everything-list>.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout 
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to