On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 10:55:52 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 23 Sep 2018, at 13:37, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 4:41:56 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 23 Sep 2018, at 09:00, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 1:28:02 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> It still seems to me that consciousness itself could be an argument
>>> against a purely information-based ontology. ("Information" meaning based
>>> purely on numbers, combinators, etc.)
>>>
>>> Philip Goff and Michael Shermer discussed basically this:
>>>

>>> https://scottbarrykaufman.com/podcast/solving-the-mysteries-of-consciousness-free-will-and-god-with-michael-shermer-and-philip-goff/
>>>

>>> via  https://twitter.com/Philip_Goff/status/1043053992916467714
>>>
>>> (In there there is an about 1 hour podcast.)
>>>

>>> My summary (fits in a tweet) of Goff:
>>>
>>> "Physicalism, based on pure informationality (quantitative states and
>>> language} is not sufficient to explain consciousness,  but a materialism
>>> (one greater than physicalism) that is based on experientiality
>>> (qualitative states and language) in addition to informationality, may be.”
>>>

>>> That is short. You might elaborate. I can refer you to my papers which
>>> shows that you cannot have both materialism/physicalism and Mechanism. Many
>>> believe that materialism and mechanism go well together, but they are
>>> logically incompatible. With mechanism, physics is reduced to arithmetic
>>> “seen from inside”.
>>>
>>> I would say that mechanism explains rather well consciousness, through
>>> computer science and the logic of self-reference ((which basically predict
>>> consciousness (indubitable, non provable and non definable sort of
>>> knowledge), but with the price of forcing to drive the physical appearance
>>> from that theory of consciousness.
>>>
>>> Bruno
>>>

>> That was my reply in a tweet to Goff's [
>> https://twitter.com/Philip_Goff/status/1043053992916467714 ] to
>> summarize in my own words the Goff view.
>>
>> I elaborate further in my previous post here on *Realistic
>> Computationalism*:
>>

>> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/everything-list/ZDKbxJuQYt4/Z7C1ePCzAwAJ
>>

>> By Pure Computationalism [
>> https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/computation-physicalsystems ] I mean
>> that everything
>>

>> Which everything? What are your basic metaphysical assumption?
>>

>> can be seen as computation with quantitative information (numbers,
>> basically) alone.
>>
>> Given Goff's definition of physicalism, physicalism is consistent with
>> (pure) computationalism. But it's not sufficient for consciousness (Goff,
>> Strawson) , even if computation is extended to hypercomputation.
>>
>> But then materialism > physicalism (i-states + e-states > i-states).
>>

>> At this stage materialism and physicalism can be identified, and we can
>> add nuances later.
>>
>> But with computationalism, neither materialism (even weak, the belief in
> [...]
In your *Progress in Biophysics & Molecular Biology* papers (which I'd like
to see), it would be interesting to see how this relates to *reflection*
(the subject beginning with Brian Cantwell Smith's fundamental thesis) in
programming language theory. (This is the study of code that is
"self-aware", can reason about and modify itself, etc.)

In the case of consciousness, if it is something beyond pure informational
processing - which a lot of physicists think physics just is (Tegmark,
Carroll, ...) - it could be that chemistry and/or biology is not reducible
to physics =  not reducible to pure informational processing.

This is called *nonreductive materialism*.

- pt