From: *Bruno Marchal* <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
On 26 Sep 2018, at 02:36, Bruce Kellett <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

I agree that the quote does not make sense. But it is what you said.

It does not make sense out of hits context. It is the the “…” which does not make sense.

The real question is “have you grasped now?”

I say that in the context of Mechanism. Then in the math part, I have (semi-) exiomatize consciousness as True, unjustifiable, undefinable, immediately knowable, indubitable, and show how the modes of self-reference makes any universal machine verifying the existence of this.

This is an attempt at proof by definition. All it amounts to is your usual "cat-dog" logic -- the argument that similarity implies identity.

The question is “do you accept that your daughter marry a man who get a digital heart, and later, a digital brain”?

My daughter can marry whomsoever she pleases.

No-one says that similarity implies identity, but only that we make the hypothesis that there is a level of description where digital similarity entails practical survival.

Nobody defends the idea that this is true (except Clark).

I just deduce from that that the materialist argument invoking a physical universe to get a brain-mind identity thesis is no more valid, and that the computationalist has to derive physics from self-reference.

Your deduction fails.

You must study before criticising.

Only some level of study is necessary. Enough to know that you do not make your case.


A proof conveys truth only in so far as the axioms/assumptions that were assumed at the start are true.

Proof in general does not entails truth.

I did not say that it did. Read what I say, and do not misquote me....
I said that proof conveys truth only in so far as the axioms are true.

That is what is not provable by any machine about a truth enough large to encompass itself.

The machine does not have to prove this -- it is manifest that a valid proof is "truth conserving", it does not entail truth.




Your proof assumes arithmetical realism (platonism).

Yes, that means it assumes that classical logic can be applied in elementary arithmetic. That is presupposed in *all* papers in the physics literature, and elsewhere.

Now you are getting ridiculous. Elementary arithmetic, such as 2+2=4, is tautologically true.

It is true, but it needs a non purely logical theory to be proved. You cannot drive the numbers from logic alone.

Who claims that you can?  Whitehead and Russell tried, but failed.



So arithmetic is used in physics, but that does not mean that anyone necessarily assumes arithmetic

Anyone capable to take a bus to go to an exam of math, like already in primary school, assumes arithmetic.

I would suggest that you follow your own advice and not quote out of context! Or jump into the middle of a sentence and treat it as though that were the whole sentence. You might show me the courtesy of responding to what I actually say, not some straw man.

I said that no one necessarily assumes arithmetical realism, or platonism.


We are blase. And we learn by examples, so we forget that we build on assumption, but everyone capable of adding and multiplying, and believing in notion like “anniversary” assumes arithmetic. Quantum physics, the theory, assumes arithmetic. The definition of a digital machine assumes arithmetic.

These thing use arithmetic -- that does not entail assuming arithmetical realism.



You don’t seem to be aware that we can be skeptical about an ontological physical reality.

But if you want matter, no problem. Given that you seem to disbelieve Mechanism. You are pertly coherent, but I doubt you are interested in mind, souls, and the origin of the physical realm.

I am interested enough. But that does not mean that I have to accept your account. I assume a mind-brain connection, so that mind and consciousness are purely physical things. They do not depend on some independently existing magical arithmetical realm. As Brent says, there is no "hard problem of consciousness". It is purely an engineering problem. Once we have built conscious robots we will wonder what all the fuss was about.



If you are prepared to say yes to the doctor, then you must believe that the body and brain are Turing emulable,

At some relevant level. Some might ask for the atomic level, other for the string level, etc.

and /ipso facto/, that consciousness is Turing emulable.

That is a subtle point. It is correct from the third person view, but consciousness is not emulate by the physical things,

I suggest that you try and prove that. And while you are at it, prove that you are fully conscious under anaesthetic.



I might not say yes to the doctor for other reasons, but I certainly believe in strong AI, i.e., that consciousness is recoverable in a Turing machine.

Nice. That is enough to listen to those machines, and they will explain to you that if you are yourself a consistent machine at some digital level, then physics can be use to test mechanism.

Maybe they will actually explain to me that the so-called "hard problem of consciousness" is an illusion.


Stop the ad hominem please.

You don't take kindly to criticism of your ideas, do you Bruno. You see every criticism as a direct personal attack.



But most people conceive more easily that QM or GR might be false than elementary arithmetic, or the elementary combinator axioms.

Who said anything about arithmetic being false?

You said above hat you don’t assume arithmetic.

You misquote again. I said that I did not believe in arithmetical realism or platonism -- an independently existing arithmetical realm. Once you take this away, the universal dovetailer can do nothing, and your whole metaphysics collapses.

You cannot believe it true if you don’t assume some of its theories.

Arithmetical theorems are only tautologically true -- true by virtue of the meaning of the terms involved. One does not need to assume any theories.



Don't you dare tell me what I believe. I can tell you only that I do not believe in arithmetical realism, so I do not accept the assumptions of mechanism.

Arithmetical realism is just the believe in the axiom above.

Why should one "believe in axioms"? Axioms are just a starting point. They are neither true nor false in themselves, so to speak of believing in them is a category error.

The “realism” part is basically in the (A v ~A).

Without arithmetical realism, there is no Church Turing thesis, no computer science, and no physical theories at all. I mention it only because I put *all* the card on the table.

Rubbish. Arithmetic is just a matter of some definitions, axioms, and rules of inference. No realism involved.


I did put arithmetical realism to avoid infinite tergiversation about 2+2=4, like some local people did already.


But if this were true, you would have told us since long.

I tell you this quite regularly.

But you put in “arithmetical realism” something which is not there.

It is there, you know. Without that, your whole enterprise collapses.

Sometimes I add “2+2=4” independently of me. May be you believe that when you die 2+2=4 will cease to be true. That would not make sense, because it would a category error. The arithmetical proposition do not presuppose time or anything like that.

No, they merely presuppose definitions and axioms. They do not presuppose an independently existing "arithmetical realm".




Also, you talk in term of a theory being true or false,

Once again, do not put words into my mouth.

Oh, but what I say, I deduce or infer from what you say.

Oh!, I see! It is OK for you to deduce or infer things from what I say, but it is not OK for me to do the same?



What is epistemological inconsistency? I do not assume anything other than the existence of an external world whose existence is independent of you, me, or anyone else.

Yes, I saw that. But then Mechanism is false, and as you accept arithmetical realism (and even Church’s thesis, without which “string AI” is not definable), the point is that you have to say no to the doctor (or find an error in my derivation).

Yes, I maintain that mechanism is false. Who said that I accept arithmetical realism? -- I thought I had denied that many times. Church's thesis does not require arithmetical realism. Nothing requires arithmetical realism, except your thesis. One is perfectly free to reject arithmetical realism -- science does not thereby collapse. Arithmetical realism is the error in your derivation.

Bruce

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to