On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 7:36:48 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> Elementary arithmetic, such as 2+2=4, is tautologically true. In other
> words, if is true by virtue of the meaning of the terms involved. It has no
> ontological content outside itself. So arithmetic is used in physics, but
> that does not mean that anyone necessarily assumes arithmetic realism, or
> platonism. Mathematics is used because it is useful, not because it is true
> in any sense other than tautologically.
>
> Arithmetic (and, indeed, all of mathematics) can be regarded as a formal
> system, with a number of defined symbols and rules of inference. Any
> sequence of the allowed symbols can be written down. Any such sequence is a
> theorem if it can be derived from the basic axioms using the allowed rules
> of inference. If it cannot be so derived, it is not a theorem. The status
> of some sequences of symbols may be undecidable; and some sequences may be
> true for other reasons, even though they are not theorems. There is little
> else to mathematics than this.
>
> Bruce

When the subject of 'what is mathematics' comes up, I say now "It's a genre
of fiction, maybe the most useful one." In the context of what's true, like
the recent Michael Atiyah proof (or many say not-proof) of the Riemann
Hypothesis, and in another case of the abc conjecture [
https://www.quantamagazine.org/titans-of-mathematics-clash-over-epic-proof-of-abc-conjecture-20180920/

], I say "If it isn't formalized in and proven in Coq yet, it's not true."

Take 2+2=4. A proof in Coq: [
https://brilliant.org/discussions/thread/2-2-4-in-coq/ ].

This is  "What's true in mathematics is just what some computer outputs."

And that's that. :)

- pt