On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 7:52:46 AM UTC-6, John Clark wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 3:05 AM Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> > *What in matter is not simulatable in arithmetic is experience.*
>>

> That's just a specific example of a more general concept, change. If you
> have an experience you have changed, you're different than if you did not
> have the experience.  Matter can change, arithmetic can't.
>
> > *Matter has experientiality, not mere informationality. *
>>

> I don't see the distinction, information describes a change in matter, an
> experience needs a change and matter is the only known thing that can
> change.
>
> *> This runs counter to most current consciousness science,*
>>

> There is intelligence science but there is no such thing as consciousness
> science, at least none that I've heard of.
>

>> *> There are 3 or 4 consciousness science conferences in 2019.*
>>

> And I would bet money not one of them will produced anything new about
> consciousness,
> although no doubt there will be 6.02*10^23 consciousness theories
> presented, each one as good (or bad) as the other and all of them
> untestable and impossible to falsify.
>

>> > *A purely informational world could be emulated in arithmetic.*
>>

> Arithmetic never changes in time or space so it can't emulate anything
> without the help of something that can change, and that can only mean
> matter. Anything with the capacity to change will do and that's why one
> carbon atom is a good as another.
>
> John K Clark

When I wrote "What in matter is not *simulatable* in arithmetic is
experience"

I meant instead: What in matter is not *synthesizable* (or realizable) in
arithmetic is experience.

One can simulate a tornado in a supercomputer - at least partially -  but
the simulation doesn't rear apart the supercomputer it's running in.
- https://news.wisc.edu/a-scientist-and-a-supercomputer-re-create-a-tornado/

(I translate "arithmetic" just to be the [fictional] Platonic computer of
mathematics.)

"Consciousness Science" is becoming more common. We'll see what happens.

21st International Conference on Machine Consciousness and Consciousness
Science
Paris, France
May 16 - 17, 2019

26th international Conference on The Science of Consciousness
2019 Interlaken
June 25-28, 2019
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwGRHbdjhH4

Center for Consciousness Science