> On 3 Dec 2018, at 16:02, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 2:42:26 PM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
>> On 2 Dec 2018, at 15:00, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>>

>> On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 12:11:50 PM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>>> On 30 Nov 2018, at 12:13, agrays...@gmail.com <> wrote:
>>>

>>> On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 12:34:13 AM UTC, Brent wrote:
>>> What can be inferred always depends on what you take as premises.  If you
>>> start from the Hilbert space formulation of QM or an equivalent formulation
>>> and you premise that there is a probability interpretation of  a state,
>>> then Gleason's theorem tells you that the Born rule provides the unique
>>> probability values.
>>>
>>> Brent
>>>
>>> So to get Born's Rule, Bruno would have to assume a huge amount IN ADDITION
>>> TO ARITHMETIC. I don't buy it. AG
>>
>> On the contrary, mechanism assumes less than any other theory. And Mechanism
>> is roughly the idea that the brain does not invoke magical things.
>>
>> The theory of everything, with mechanism assumed at the metalevel, assume
>> only S K, S≠K, and the axioms
>>
>> 1) If x = y and x = z, then y = z
>> 2) If x = y then xz = yz
>> 3) If x = y then zx = zy
>> 4) Kxy = x
>> 5) Sxyz = xz(yz)
>>
>> I doubt that you will find an easier theory.
>> (Exercice: prove that x = x)
>>
>> Bruno
>>
>> But you haven't replied to my objection. In addition to logic and the axioms
>> of arithmetic, you must ALSO assume such a thing as probability exists to
>> even approach QM. What you have above won't cut it, IMO. AG
>

> I do not assume any probabilities in the ontology. I justify them through the
> phenomenology. Here I was just making clear that I assume only the 5 rules
> and axioms above. There is three inference rules:
>
> 1) If x = y and x = z, then y = z
> 2) If x = y then xz = yz
> 3) If x = y then zx = zy
>
> And two axioms:
>
> 4) Kxy = x
> 5) Sxyz = xz(yz)
>
> Are the variables restricted to natural numbers, that is, the positive
> integers?

A combinatory algebra is any set with some law or operation verifying the
axioms above. That can be birds (Smullyan) or whatever you want, as long as the
formula above are satisfied.

And they can be numbers indeed. I will probably prove, soon, that if you take
the set N (the natural numbers), and fix some universal machinery phi_i (that
is an enumeration of the partial computable functions), then by defining (i j)
by phi_i(j) we make N into a combinatory algebra. So any universal
system/machine/number automatically endow N with a structure of (partial)
combinatory algebra. There are other more sophisticated models though.

phi_i(j) denotes the result of applying the ith program (of the fixed
enumeration of all programs in the fixed universal machinery) on the number j.

Kxy abbreviates ((K x) y) where (K x) denotes what is noted usually K(x), that
is K applied on x.

> What are these axioms, explicitly?

They are axioms defining the combinatory algebra, which captures the Turing
Universal system. Like the axioms of group theory defines the group. Not sure
of the meaning of your question, as it is hard to be more explicit than by
giving axioms.

> And No, I don't believe there's enough here to infer de Broglie matter waves,
> or the quantum interference pattern for, say, the double slit. AG

Being skeptical is good … as long as your skepticism does not prevent you to
verify the proof and perhaps to justify your disbelief with some specific
argument. If not, I will think that your disbelief is based on some personal
opinion (like believing in some ontological matter that we would have to
assume). In that case we are no more doing science.
And, yes, the axiom above capture basically the whole of computer science,
although we can add many axioms, to get more particular theories (Turing
complete or not). Of course, by incompleteness, to get the whole theoretical
computer truth, we would need a (non recursively enumerable) infinity of
axioms. Such truth are beyond *all* theories.

Note that I could use the numbers instead of combintaors; using Robinson
Arithmetic instead:

0 ≠ s(x)                     (0 is not the successor of a number)
s(x) = s(y) -> x = y     (different numbers have different successors)
x = 0 v Ey(x = s(y))    (except for 0, all numbers have a predecessor)
x+0 = x                      (if you add zero to a number, you get that number)
x+s(y) = s(x+y)  (if you add a number x to the successor of a number y, you get
the successor of x added to y)
x*0=0                   (if you multiply a number by 0, you get 0)
x*s(y)=(x*y)+x    (if you multiply a number x by the successor of y, you get
the number x added to the multiplication of the number x with y)

OK?

That theory, amazingly, is also Turing complete, despite being very weak (it
cannot prove that 0 + x = x, for example).

Bruno