On 12/8/2018 12:27 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 2:06 PM Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com <mailto:cloudver...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 1:02:25 PM UTC-6, Jason wrote:

        On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 4:04 AM Philip Thrift
        <cloud...@gmail.com> wrote:

            What is more primary than numbers?

            1. Numbers come from counting.

        Numbers come from relationships upon which objective
        statements can be made (with or without objects to count).
        For example, I can make and prove a statement about a number
        with a million digits.  Despite that there are not that many
        things (in my vicinity) to count.

            But one counts things (things that are not numbers
            themselves, in the primitive case). So the things one
            counts + the one that counts must be more primary than
            numbers.

            2. Numbers come from lambda calculus (LC). But LC - a
            programming language - needs a machine LCM to interpret LC
            programs. So LC + LCM is more primary than numbers.

        You can build computers and programs out of equations
        concerning the arithmetical relationships that exist between
        numbers.  See my post "Do we live in a Diophantine equation":

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/everything-list/KTopDTsOW10/TqYgylAiBgAJ

        Jason

    But what are /relations/? Are /relations/, or /functions/, then
    primitive?

I think truth is primitive.

"True" means quite different things in different contexts.

Brent

    cf. *Relations Versus Functions at the Foundations of Logic:
    Type-Theoretic Considerations*
    https://mally.stanford.edu/Papers/rtt.pdf

    What language are /equations/ written in?

Things only need to be written for purposes of communication. Writing a description has no bearing on the ontological status of the thing described.

Jason
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.