On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 6:12:43 AM UTC, Brent wrote:

> On 1/13/2019 9:51 PM, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>
> This means, to me, that the arbitrary phase angles have absolutely no
> effect on the resultant interference pattern which is observed. But isn't
> this what the phase angles are supposed to effect? AG
>

> The screen pattern is determined by *relative phase angles for the
> different paths that reach the same point on the screen*.  The relative
> angles only depend on different path lengths, so the overall phase angle is
> irrelevant.
>
> Brent

*Sure, except there areTWO forms of phase interference in Wave Mechanics;
the one you refer to above, and another discussed in the Stackexchange
links I previously posted. In the latter case, the wf is expressed as a
superposition, say of two states, where we consider two cases; a
multiplicative complex phase shift is included prior to the sum, and
different complex phase shifts multiplying each component, all of the form
e^i (theta). Easy to show that interference exists in the latter case, but
not the former. Now suppose we take the inner product of the wf with the
ith eigenstate of the superposition, in order to calculate the probability
of measuring the eigenvalue of the ith eigenstate, applying one of the
postulates of QM, keeping in mind that each eigenstate is multiplied by a
DIFFERENT complex phase shift.  If we further assume the eigenstates are
mutually orthogonal, the probability of measuring each eigenvalue does NOT
depend on the different phase shifts. What happened to the interference
demonstrated by the Stackexchange links? TIA, AG *