On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 6:12:43 AM UTC, Brent wrote:

> On 1/13/2019 9:51 PM, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>
> This means, to me, that the arbitrary phase angles have absolutely no
> effect on the resultant interference pattern which is observed. But isn't
> this what the phase angles are supposed to effect? AG
>

> The screen pattern is determined by *relative phase angles for the
> different paths that reach the same point on the screen*.  The relative
> angles only depend on different path lengths, so the overall phase angle is
> irrelevant.
>
> Brent

*Here are two links from Stackexchange which show that the global phase
angle does not effect the interference, but that relative phase angles do,
which is what you're saying.   *

*
https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/177588/the-meaning-of-the-phase-in-the-wave-function*

*https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/275890/does-overall-phase-matter?noredirect=1&lq=1*

*But I chose to express the wf as a superposition of orthonormal
eigenfunctions, each multiplied by a probability amplitude and an arbitrary
relative phase angle. See recent posts. Then I calculated the probability
of measuring the ith eigenvalue by calculating the norm squared of the
inner product of the wf with the ith eigenfunction, applying one of the
postulates of QM. Using this calculation, the probability of measuring the
ith eigenvalue does NOT depend upon the relative phase angles. AG*