On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 9:56:17 AM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> [...]
>>> e_j) = delta_i_j, when presenting the Born rule, and the quantum formalism.
>>>
>>> Bruno
>>>

>> *Generally, bases in a vector space are NOT orthonormal. *
>>

>> Right. But we can always build an orthonormal base with a decent scalar
>> product, like in Hilbert space,
>>

>> *For example, in the vector space of vectors in the plane, any pair of
>> non-parallel vectors form a basis. Same for any general superposition of
>> states in QM. HOWEVER, eigenfunctions with distinct eigenvalues ARE
>> orthogonal.*
>>

>> Absolutely. And when choosing a non degenerate
>> observable/measuring-device, we work in the base of its eigenvectors. A
>> superposition is better seen as a sum of some eigenvectors of some
>> observable. That is the crazy thing in QM. The same particle can be
>> superposed in the state of being here and there. Two different positions of
>> one particle can be superposed.
>>

> *This is a common misinterpretation. Just because a wf can be expressed in
> different ways (as a vector in the plane can be expressed in uncountably
> many different bases), doesn't mean a particle can exist in different
> positions in space at the same time. AG*
>

> It has a non null amplitude of probability of being here and there at the
> same time, like having a non null amplitude of probability of going through
> each slit in the two slits experience.
>
> If not, you can’t explain the inference patterns, especially in the photon
> self-interference.
>

> Using a non orthonormal base makes only things more complex.
>>
> * I posted a link to this proof a few months ago. IIRC, it was on its
>> specifically named thread. AG*
>>

>> But all this makes my point. A vector by itself cannot be superposed, but
>> can be seen as the superposition of two other vectors, and if those are
>> orthonormal, that gives by the Born rule the probability to obtain the
>> "Eigen result” corresponding to the measuring apparatus with Eigen vectors
>> given by that orthonormal base.
>>
>> I’m still not sure about what you would be missing.
>>

> *You would be missing the interference! Do the math. Calculate the
> probability density of a wf expressed as a superposition of orthonormal
> eigenstates, where each component state has a different phase angle. All
> cross terms cancel out due to orthogonality,*
>

> ?  Sin(alpha) up + cos(alpha) down has sin^2(alpha) probability to be fin
> up, and cos^2(alpha) probability to be found down, but has probability one
> being found in the Sin(alpha) up + cos(alpha) down state, which would not
> be the case with a mixture of sin^2(alpha) proportion of up with
> cos^2(alpha) down particles.
> Si, I don’t see what we would loss the interference terms.
>

> * and the probability density does not depend on the phase differences.
> What you get seems to be the classical probability density. AG *
>

> I miss something here. I don’t understand your argument. It seems to

*Suppose we want to calculate the probability density of a superposition
consisting of orthonormal eigenfunctions, each multiplied by some amplitude
and some arbitrary phase shift. If we take the norm squared using Born's
Rule, don't all the cross terms zero out due to orthonormality? Aren't we
just left with the SUM OF NORM SQUARES of each component of the
superposition? YES or NO? If YES, the resultant probability density doesn't
depend on any of the phase angles. AG*