> Il 20 gennaio 2019 alle 13.25 agrayson2...@gmail.com ha scritto:
>

>     On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 12:10:25 PM UTC, scerir wrote:
>
>         > >

> >             > > > Il 20 gennaio 2019 alle 12.56 agrays...@gmail.com ha
> > scritto:
> > >

> > >             On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 10:46:01 AM UTC, scerir wrote:
> > >
> > >                 > > > >

> > >             Isn't this called diffraction? AG
> > >
> > >         > >
> >         No, they show it is interference
> >
> >     >
>     ??? CMIIAW, but I'm pretty sure that single slit interference is called
> DIFFRACTION. There is interference for a single slit. Apply Huygen's
> principle where each point in the slit acts as source of waves which mutually
> interference. AG

Interference is interference. Diffraction is diffraction.

After useful considerations by Leonard Mandel [J. Opt. Soc. Amer., 49, (1959),
931] at last R.M. Sillitto and Catherine Wykes [Physics Letters, 39-A-4,
(1972), 333] performed the experiment suggested by Janossy and Nagy (1956) and
found a beautiful INTERFERENCE when just one photon was present in their
interferometer, at a time, and when their electro-optic shutter (closing one or
the other slit, alternatively) was switched several times during the
time-travel of each photon.

In terms of photons (that is to say: particles) the condition for INTERFERENCE
is that the two in principle *possible* paths lead to the same cell of phase
space, so that the path of each photon is intrinsically indeterminate (the
usual 'welcher weg', or 'which path', issue).

Of course the shutter must be switched in a time which is less than the
uncertainty in the time arrival of the photon.

In other words. Here the INTERFERENCE seems to be due to the
indistinguishability of the two possible paths (only one of these paths is
actual, because there is that shutter). It is very difficult to see here an
interference between two amplitudes.