On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 12:20:13 PM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> We cannot predict in advance if a machine will stop. The extensional
> equality of machines, or combinators, is unsolvable.

There is some conceptual and practical division between mathematics and
applied mathematics (and there are institutionally separate Mathematics
(PM, P for "Pure") and Applied Mathematics (AM) Departments or Divisions at
*some* universities. There is a PM and an AM way of approaching what
"computing" is.

In an AM way of thinking, no computer can run forever, assuming what
scientists theorize about the future of the universe (big freeze, crunch,
etc.).

AM would see computing as being nothing more than what can be done on
material computers, natural or manmade.

- pt