On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 6:57:35 AM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

> On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 2:51 AM Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>

>> *> But what is information processing?*
>>

> It is the process of extracting information from data, and information is
> the resolution of uncertainty. And my unproven assumption (which will never
> be proven but is the only thing that prevents me from becoming a solipsist)
> is that consciousness is the way data feels when it is being processed.
>
> *> a robot - which is matter - that is doing very advanced, high-level
>> information processing - could be a winner on Jeopardy, and talk to you in
>> a conversation, could be a zombie.*
>

> If you somehow knew for a fact a brilliant being was a zombie then you
> could immediately make one conclusion about it, the being could NOT be the
> product of Darwinian Evolution because Natural Selection can see
> intelligence but it can't see consciousness in others any better than we
> can, and it can't select for something it can't see. But of course there is
> no way you could ever know a brilliant being was a zombie or know he was
> not a zombie either unless a important assumption is made, intelligent
> behavior implies consciousness.
>
> *> Are you a zombie?*
>

> No. But isn't that what you'd expect a philosophical zombie to say?
>
> > *Now I would just way that the jury is out about qualia ⇨ information.*
>>

> The jury is NOT out over the fact that if your consciousness changes the
> informational processing of your brain changes and if the informational
> processing of your brain changes your consciousness changes. Regarding all
> other matters involving consciousness the jury is still out and will remain
> out until the end of time, and that's why complex consciousness theories
> are such a complete waste of time.
>

>> *> If the above paper is right, then it's sort of settled, right?*
>>

> The question of consciousness is as settled as it's ever going to be,
> that's why the field of consciousness research has not moved an inch or
> even a nanometer in a century. But Artificial *INTELLIGENCE* research is
> alive and well.
>

>> > *I still think the phenomenologists are right, that quaia is a
>> different type of entity than information,*
>>

> Obviously they're different things but they're intimately related.
>
> John K Clark

I'm not going to

    T*he Science of Consciousness 2019*
     https://www.tsc2019-interlaken.ch/

next month (so Interlaken will be without me), but there is a whole bunch
of people who think the subject of consciousness is a serious scientific
endeavor.

As you know I worked in an AI lab in the '80s and '90s

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments#Artificial_intelligence

and I have several AI patents from that time. (One of the people I worked
with there I saw just last week is now working for an AI company making
software for cars (e.g. self-driving) with computer vision.

AI via information processing (conventional computing) will of course get
very good. But my sense is that experience processing becomes a matter of
interest when the "compiled object code" is produced via biocompilers (or
compilers to bio-like materials).

@philipthrift