On Sunday, May 19, 2019, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 2:40:04 PM UTC-5, Jason wrote:

>>> That was written in 1993. (In 2019, I don't think he himself defends
>>> this view.)
>>>
>>> In any case, I read this "defense" like I read papers defending* the
>>> existence of God*.
>>>

>> A scientist should be thrilled to find something which might show the
>> ideas he or she holds to be wrong, as it offers a chance to adopt a more
>> correct view.  Recently I have seen a lot of people on this list telling
>> others their idea is wrong, but not giving any reason or reasoning to
>> justify that assertion.
>>
>> This doesn't helping anyone. Telling someone else they are wrong without
>> providing a reason won't get them to change their mind, if anything failing
>> to provide a reason is just as likely to reinforce their belief. If you see
>> or intuit something that someone else does not, I think it is best to
>> either point out what it is they are missing or remain silent.
>>
>> Jason

Philip,

I commend you for providing your reasons below. Thank you.

> We know our brains, which we examine in science to be made of a complex
> configuration of cells, neurons and glial, with complex neurochemistry*,
> produces consciousness. That is the fact we know to be the case.

Yes, I agree.

> So it seems reasonable, from both a scientific and engineering stance,
> that a synthetic intelligence approach - one that combines
> synthetic-biological assembly with AI information processing to produce
> outputs that are actually living things - is the road to (synthetic)
> consciousness.
>
> *The belief that a conventional computer made of a zillion Intel Core
> chips with the right programming can be conscious is a religious belief,
> not a a scientific belief.*

You could say it is a hypothesis for which we currently have no direct
evidence for.  Is there anything you would consider evidence?  If a
synthetic Android claimed to be conscious would this be evidence that would
convince you? If not, what evidence could convince you?

> The burden of proof is on those with that belief to prove it, just as the
> burden of proof is on those with the belief that God exists to prove that.

I think the burden rests equally on those holding either that "synthetic
brains cannot be conscious" as "synthetic brains can be conscious".

The reason I lean towards the second camp, is that the former leads to very
strange situations: pzombies that complain about pain, Androids who argue
that they're conscious, planets with zombies (of a different neuro
chemistry) who nonetheless write books on consciousness, fading qualia, and
qualia that "dance" (disappear and reappear) due to presence or absence of
a few synthetic neurons.

I am not aware of anything quite so strange resulting from a belief in
synthetic consciousness. Sure it is strange that a billion Intel chips
could be conscious, but no more strange than the idea that a heap of oil
droplets squirting ions back and forth could be conscious.

Anyway that's how I got to where I am.

Jason