On Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 6:50:48 PM UTC-5, Jason wrote:

> On Sunday, May 19, 2019, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

>> On Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 2:40:04 PM UTC-5, Jason wrote:

>>> A scientist should be thrilled to find something which might show the
>>> ideas he or she holds to be wrong, as it offers a chance to adopt a more
>>> correct view.  Recently I have seen a lot of people on this list telling
>>> others their idea is wrong, but not giving any reason or reasoning to
>>> justify that assertion.
>>>
>>> This doesn't helping anyone. Telling someone else they are wrong without
>>> providing a reason won't get them to change their mind, if anything failing
>>> to provide a reason is just as likely to reinforce their belief. If you see
>>> or intuit something that someone else does not, I think it is best to
>>> either point out what it is they are missing or remain silent.
>>>
>>> Jason
>>>

> Philip,
>
> I commend you for providing your reasons below. Thank you.
>

>> We know our brains, which we examine in science to be made of a complex
>> configuration of cells, neurons and glial, with complex neurochemistry*,
>> produces consciousness. That is the fact we know to be the case.
>>

> Yes, I agree.
>

>> So it seems reasonable, from both a scientific and engineering stance,
>> that a synthetic intelligence approach - one that combines
>> synthetic-biological assembly with AI information processing to produce
>> outputs that are actually living things - is the road to (synthetic)
>> consciousness.
>>
>> *The belief that a conventional computer made of a zillion Intel Core
>> chips with the right programming can be conscious is a religious belief,
>> not a a scientific belief.*
>>

> You could say it is a hypothesis for which we currently have no direct
> evidence for.  Is there anything you would consider evidence?  If a
> synthetic Android claimed to be conscious would this be evidence that would
> convince you? If not, what evidence could convince you?
>

>> The burden of proof is on those with that belief to prove it, just as the
>> burden of proof is on those with the belief that God exists to prove that.
>>

> I think the burden rests equally on those holding either that "synthetic
> brains cannot be conscious" as "synthetic brains can be conscious".
>
> The reason I lean towards the second camp, is that the former leads to
> very strange situations: pzombies that complain about pain, Androids who
> argue that they're conscious, planets with zombies (of a different neuro
> chemistry) who nonetheless write books on consciousness, fading qualia, and
> qualia that "dance" (disappear and reappear) due to presence or absence of
> a few synthetic neurons.
>
> I am not aware of anything quite so strange resulting from a belief in
> synthetic consciousness. Sure it is strange that a billion Intel chips
> could be conscious, but no more strange than the idea that a heap of oil
> [...]
We do know that some synthetic-biological objects (SBOs) exist that are
conscious: Us.

Except here the material synthesis was accomplished via natural selection,
not bay a team of scientists and engineers.

An android that came with a resume outlining its manufacturing via
sufficiently synthetic-biological processes and said "I am conscious" might
be believed. We could cut it open, but that would not be nice.

There are several alternatives to our biochemistry, of course [
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry ], even
involving silicon*. (This is about the 20th time I have posted this.)

But I claim that no zillion-processor Intel Core computer (that ultimately
runs programs compiled to Intel machine code) can be conscious. I also
claim God does not exist.

It is this context that [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_room ] is
correct.

"The Chinese room argument holds that an executing program cannot [have]
consciousness, regardless of how intelligently or human-like the program
may make the computer behave."

* Silicon biochemistry
See also: Organosilicon <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organosilicon>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Silane.png>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Silane.png>
Structure of silane <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silane>, analog of
methane <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methane>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PDMS.svg>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PDMS.svg>
Structure of the silicone polydimethylsiloxane
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydimethylsiloxane> (PDMS)
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Diatom2.jpg>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Diatom2.jpg>
Marine diatoms <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatoms>—carbon-based
organisms that extract silicon from sea water, in the form of its oxide
(silica) and incorporate it into their cell walls

The silicon atom has been much discussed as the basis for an alternative
biochemical system, because silicon has many chemical properties
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_property> similar to those of
carbon and is in the same group of the periodic table
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_(periodic_table)>, the carbon group
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_group>. Like carbon, silicon can
create molecules that are sufficiently large to carry biological
information.[10]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry#cite_note-Pace-10>

However, silicon has several drawbacks as an alternative to carbon.
Silicon, unlike carbon, lacks the ability to form chemical bonds with
diverse types of atoms as is necessary for the chemical versatility
required for metabolism, and yet this precise inability is what makes
silicon less susceptible to bond with all sorts of impurities from which
carbon, in comparison, is not shielded. Elements creating organic
functional groups with carbon include hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen,
phosphorus, sulfur, and metals such as iron, magnesium, and zinc. Silicon,
on the other hand, interacts with very few other types of atoms.[10]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry#cite_note-Pace-10>
 Moreover,
where it does interact with other atoms, silicon creates molecules that
have been described as "monotonous compared with the combinatorial universe
of organic macromolecules".[10]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry#cite_note-Pace-10>
 This
is because silicon atoms are much bigger, having a larger mass
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass> and atomic radius
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_radius>, and so have difficulty
forming double bonds (the double-bonded carbon is part of the carbonyl
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonyl> group, a fundamental motif of
carbon-based bio-organic chemistry).

Silanes <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silanes>, which are chemical
compounds <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_compound>of hydrogen
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen> and silicon that are analogous to
the alkane <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkane> hydrocarbons
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocarbon>, are highly reactive with water
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_(molecule)>, and long-chain silanes
spontaneously decompose. Molecules incorporating polymers
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer> of alternating silicon and oxygen
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen> atoms instead of direct bonds
between silicon, known collectively as silicones
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone>, are much more stable. It has been
suggested that silicone-based chemicals would be more stable than
equivalent hydrocarbons in a sulfuric-acid-rich environment, as is found in
some extraterrestrial locations.[11]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry#cite_note-world-building-11>

Of the varieties of molecules identified in the interstellar medium
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_medium> as of 1998, 84 are
based on carbon, while only 8 are based on silicon.[12]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry#cite_note-12>
Moreover,
of those 8 compounds, 4 also include carbon within them. The cosmic
abundance <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abundance_of_the_chemical_elements> of
carbon to silicon is roughly 10 to 1. This may suggest a greater variety of
complex carbon compounds throughout the cosmos, providing less of a
foundation on which to build silicon-based biologies, at least under the
conditions prevalent on the surface of planets. Also, even though Earth
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth> and other terrestrial planets
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrestrial_planet> are exceptionally
silicon-rich and carbon-poor (the relative abundance of silicon to carbon
in Earth's crust is roughly 925:1), terrestrial life is carbon-based. The
fact that carbon is used instead of silicon may be evidence that silicon is
poorly suited for biochemistry on Earth-like planets. Reasons for which may
be that silicon is less versatile than carbon in forming compounds, that
the compounds formed by silicon are unstable, and that it blocks the flow
of heat.[13]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry#cite_note-BC-13>

Even so, biogenic silica <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biogenic_silica> is
used by some Earth life, such as the silicate
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicate> skeletal structure of diatoms
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatom>. According to the clay hypothesis
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis#Clay_hypothesis> of A. G.
Cairns-Smith <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Cairns-Smith>, silicate
minerals in water played a crucial role in abiogenesis
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis>: they replicated their crystal
structures, interacted with carbon compounds, and were the precursors of
carbon-based life.[14]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry#cite_note-14>
[15]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry#cite_note-15>

Although not observed in nature, carbon–silicon bonds have been added to
biochemistry by using directed evolution (artificial selection). A heme
containing cytochrome *c* protein from *Rhodothermus marinus* has been
engineered using directed evolution to catalyze the formation of new
carbon–silicon bonds between hydrosilanes and diazo compounds.[16]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry#cite_note-16>

Silicon compounds may possibly be biologically useful under temperatures or
pressures different from the surface of a terrestrial planet, either in
conjunction with or in a role less directly analogous to carbon.
Polysilanols, the silicon compounds corresponding to sugars
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar>, are soluble in liquid nitrogen,
suggesting that they could play a role in very-low-temperature biochemistry.
[17]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry#cite_note-17>
[18]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry#cite_note-18>

In cinematic and literary science fiction, at a moment when man-made
machines cross from nonliving to living, it is often posited,[*by whom?
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style/Words_to_watch#Unsupported_attributions>*
] this new form would be the first example of non-carbon-based life. Since
the advent of the microprocessor
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microprocessor> in the late 1960s, these
machines are often classed as computers
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer> (or computer-guided robots
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot>) and filed under "silicon-based
life", even though the silicon backing matrix of these processors is not
nearly as fundamental to their operation as carbon is for "wet life".

@philipthrift