On Wed, Jun 26, 2019, at 20:32, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List wrote:

> On 6/26/2019 7:18 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

>>> On the theory of quantum immortality, you have many more old moments than
>>> young moments.
>>
>> I disagree. Assuming that our timelines are constantly branching and that
>> for every amount of time t that we live there is some p probability that we
>> die for some reasons, and worst yet, this probability increases as we get
>> older, this tree will become sparser the deeper you go.
>>
>> If you apply self-sampling reasoning to the observer moments contained in
>> that tree, even though it may contain very deep branches, the probability of
>> finding oneself at such as depth becomes astronomically low.
>>
>> I would claim that the very assumptions that quantum immortality rests on
>> make it nonsensical to restrict self-sampling to a single timeline.
>
> Yes, I see that point. But if you have at least one timeline that is
> immortal, i.e. infinite, it can have higher measure than the sum of all those
> finite timelines...unless they are infinite in number(?).

Yes, I agree that the finite timelines must be infinite in number for this to
work, and I also wonder if they can be infinite in number.

Wild speculation: take something like the simulation argument or Bruno's
Universal Dovetailer. Perhaps the complexification process of Darwinism, then
human-like intelligence and whatever next is bound to create new computational
environments that start their own trees, in a fractal-like fashion.

>  And as I understand quantum immortality, almost every time line is infinite.

I guess it depends on how you define timeline. The way I see it: you can almost
always find a path from any node in the tree to infinity, but that doesn't mean
that most random paths are infinite.

To be more clear, I think it makes sense to apply self-sampling to observer
moments rather than to personal identities (whatever that is). If the tree
connects observer moments and becomes sparser the deeper you go, then if you
select a random observer moment from the set of all observer moments in the
tree (and if there is infinite branching not only in depth but also in
breadth), then you are much more likely to find yourself near the root, even
though there is infinite depth.

Telmo.