On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 at 03:12, smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl> wrote:

> On 11-09-2019 19:41, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 at 00:51, smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl> wrote:
> >
> >> Back to basics. There exists a universal wavefunction that evolves
> >> according to the Schrodinger equation. Observers are internal
> >> structures
> >> in this description. Whether or not one believes that the Born rule
> >> can
> >> be derived or not, what matters in practice is that you'll end up
> >> having
> >> to use it, so you have to assign a measure for observations that is
> >> given by the summation of the squared modulus of the states that
> >> correspond to those observations. The information about personal
> >> identity must then also be extracted from the wavefunction, so one
> >> cannot insert this in an ad hoc way.
> >>
> >> Quantum immortality is therefore wrong because the measure of the
> >> states
> >> that correspond to extremely old observers is small.
> >
> > This means that if you don’t know if you are young or very old and
> > have to guess, you are more likely to be right if you guess that you
> > are young. But it does not mean that you won’t inevitably become
> > very old.--
>

> Indeed, there is always going to be a very small probability of finding
> yourself in a very atypical situation. In the MWI we would need to take
> into account all possible relevant processes here, and forgetting about
> some fact and learning about that again will tend to replace extremely
> atypical information from he memory and replace that by more typical
> information.
>
> In the MWI the so-called stability of records of measurements is not
> valid in an absolute sense. It's only valid in each branch, but you can
> hop from one to another branch such that all your memories are swapped
> with those of your copy. So, if I find myself to be a trillion years old
> and I go top sleep then I'll most likely wake up as a copy that has that
> information about me being a trillion years old replaced by a more
> reasonable lower number.
>
> This also means that even if you win the lottery and become a multi
> millionaire, you'll very likely end up forgetting this and finding
> yourself to not having won the lottery.

I only survive because I remember the person I was. If a branch I find
myself in is a dead end then that version of me dies. So if I find myself
being a trillion years old and a trillion year old plus a day copy does not
exist, or exists but forgets he is me, then the trillion year old copy
dies. But if such a copy does exist with an intact memory, then the
trillion year copy survives in this copy. It is not an option that I switch
from a trillion year old copy to a younger copy with greater measure, any
more than it is an option that I will tomorrow wake up Chinese, because
there are more Chinese than Australians.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou