On 9/22/2019 8:20 PM, Alan Grayson wrote:

On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 5:43:13 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:

    On 9/22/2019 8:39 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

    > This is a consequence also of eternal inflation, and Guth used
    almost
    > identical language saying everything that can happen happens an
    > infinite number of times.

    The problem is to figure out what CAN happen.  There tends to be a
    casual assumption that it's anything that can be imagined or anything
    that is not a logical contradiction.  The former is vague (can you
    imagine that Puerto Rico exists?).  The second can't be applied
    because
    the world is not a set of propositions. "Everything" is ill defined.
    Quantum mechanics is often cited as proving that everything
    happens, but
    this is a misunderstanding.  QM also predicts that some things
    have zero
    probability...that's why there are dark bands in a Young's slits
    experiment.

    Brent

Tegmark claimed that everything that's mathematically possible, must occur.
Since the dark bands are NOT mathematically possible,

Of course they are mathematically possible. You just need to start with the right axioms.  Everything mathematically possible that is not self contradictory (including a flat Earth and flying pigs).

Brent

Tegmark's general
claim cannot apply. So we must address ourselves to what IS mathematically
possible, which could include flying pigs with properly modified DNA. I don't subscribe to the claim of many or infinite copies of anything. I've never seen a proof of that; only assertions. And Jason mistakes the claim if it comes from
Tegmark. He did NOT claim that anything CONCEIVABLE must occur. AG
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/c8315daf-c474-4601-9969-0f7724e65ffb%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/c8315daf-c474-4601-9969-0f7724e65ffb%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.