> On 9 Feb 2020, at 08:11, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 5:48 PM Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com
> <mailto:stath...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 at 15:43, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com
> <mailto:bhkellet...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 3:26 PM Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com
> <mailto:stath...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> On 9 Feb 2020, at 13:42, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com
> <mailto:bhkellet...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> No. For to make such a guess would be to assume a dualist model of personal
>> identity: viz., that I have an immortal soul that is not duplicated with my
>> body, but assigned at random to one of the duplicates. I do not believe
>> this, nor do I believe that any concept of probability is relevant to your
>> presumed scenario.
>
> Strange that you should say that, since in the philosophical literature (eg.
> Derek Parfit) the position you describe as dualist is called “reductionist”,
> assuming there is no soul and the mind is duplicated along with the body.
> Anyway, you would not do well if you assumed this in a world where
> duplication occurred commonly. If you were rewarded if you bet correctly and
> punished if you bet incorrectly, the world would come to be dominated by
> people who assume in the above scenario they have a 99.9% chance of finding
> themselves at A.
>

> They may end up dominating -- but possibly that is only because, by
> construction, there are more going to A. As with Bruno's W/M duplication,
> there is an unresolved question of personal identity at stake here, and your
> solution is not necessarily correct.
>
> Basically there are two theories if personal identity: the magical soul
> theory, which holds that your soul only goes into one body, and the
> reductionist theory, which holds that your mind is copied along with your
> body and each copy has equal claim to being a continuation of the original.
>
> There is also Nozick's closest continuer theory, in which new persons are
> created in such duplication scenarios. The issue is unlikely to be resolved
> until we have actual experience of body-mind duplication. And that is a long
> way off……

Which makes no sense when you assume mechanism, and without mechanism it
requires some non computable magic to get a notion of closer coherent with the
known physics, but with mechanism, we get directly the many-histoires, and its
mathematics is quantum as needed. So why add a metaphysical assumption like the
SWI (one world) when the 0-world explains the appearance and role of the many
histories already in arithmetic, and solidly determined thanks to the
Church-Turing thesis?

Bruno