On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 09:46:34AM +1100, Bruce Kellett wrote:

> The greater problem is that any idea of probability founders when all outcomes
> occur for any measurement. Or have you not followed the arguments I have been
> making that shows this to be the case?

I must admit I haven't followed the arguments either - admittedly, I
haven't read your cited material.

ISTM - probability is all about what an observer observes. Since the
observer cannot see all outcomes, an objection based on all outcomes
occurring seems moot to me.

You may counter that the assumption that an observer cannot see all
outcomes is an extra thing "put in by hand", and you would be right,
of course. It is not part of the Schroedinger equation. But I would
strongly suspect that this assumption will be a natural outcome of a
proper theory of consciousness, if/when we have one. Indeed, I
highlight it in my book with the name "PROJECTION postulate".

This is, of course, at the heart of the 1p/3p distinction - and of
course the classic taunts and misunderstandings between BM and JC
(1p-3p confusion).

Incidently, I've started reading Colin Hales's "Revolution of
Scientific Structure", a fellow Melburnian and member of this
list. The interesting proposition about this is Colin is proposing
we're on the verge of a Kuhnian paradigm shift in relation to the role
of the observer in science, and the that this sort of misunderstanding
is a classic symptom of such a shift.

Cheers