You're leaving out the pre-historic part.  Among primitive peoples, explanations are mixtures of supernatural agency, empirical knowledge, and magic. Magic and empiricism gave rise to alchemy and attempts to control supernatural agents thru spells and incantations; which led eventually to astronomy and science. I don't identify science only with mathematical reasoning.  The guy who learned to fletch arrows to  make them fly true was doing science.  So was they guy who found his crops grew better if he added manure.  So was the guy who learned the stars could predict how long until springtime.

Supernatural agency plus magic gave rise to shamans and priests and religion.  It gave comfort and control (c.f. The Grand Inquisitor). It's telling that among the most primitive people the agents are natural phenomenon, like storms and volcanoes, or powerful animals, like bears and lions.  But as humans became dominant the agents became super men and women.

So I don't think of theology as pre-dating science.  I just think science and magic and religion were a single kind of thing which eventually separated into the threads we identify today.

Brent