> On 14 May 2020, at 12:09, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is true!
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Laundry_Files
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Laundry_Files>
>
>  "Magic <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_(paranormal)>" is described as
> being a branch of applied computation (mathematics), therefore computers and
> equations are just as useful, and perhaps more potent, than classic
> spellbooks, pentagrams, and sigils for the purpose of influencing ancient
> powers and opening gates to other dimensions.

I don’t believe in “real magic”. If time travel was possible and a
time-traveller comes back with a documentary showing Jesus making water into
wine, I would still consider that the most plausible explanation would be that
Jesus is a good prestidigitator.

Why? Just by considering the degree of credulity of the humans, and their craft
in prestidigitation.

Similarly, I find far more reasonable, even “Occam-reasonable” that the
appearance of a physical universe is due to number’s prestidigitation, because
incompleteness shows the numbers being both terribly naïve, but also incredibly
gifted in the art of making their fellow number believing almost everything.
Gödel’s theorem warned us; if we are consistent, it is even consistent that we
are inconsistent (<>t -> <>[]f).

Computationalism is Prestidigitalism. Lol.

Wolfram is correct about “[]p”, but forget completely []p & p (and thus missed
physics, theology, etc.)

At least Penrose is aware of the abyssal difference between “[]p” and “[]p &
p”, but literally confusse them in its use of Gödel’s incompleteness against
Mechanism.

So, with respect to metaphysics and to the Mind-Body problem in the frame of
Descartes-Darwin Mechanism, we can say that Penrose is less wrong than Wolfram,
and more interestingly-wrong.

I am not claiming that Penrose or Wolfram are wrong. I am just comparing them
with the canonical theology of the universal machine, that is, with the 8 modes
of self-truth/belief/knowledge/observation/sensation of the universal machine
having enough induction beliefs/axioms, in any hard or soft relative
implementation.

Those modes can be motivated through Mechanist thought experiments and/or
through the Theaetetus of Plato.

Bruno