On 5/18/2020 3:03 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 18 May 2020, at 00:45, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

On 5/17/2020 6:29 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
the appearance of matter as they are explained by the mechanist consciousness flux in arithmetic (itself explained by G and G* and their difference).

You frequently say this,

Yes, it is the PhD content.
1) UDA = the constructive reduction of the mind-body problem to the necessity of deriving he physical laws from arithmetic.
2) AUDA = the derivation itself.

but I have not seen this explanation except in vague hand waving.

Hand waving?

Your remark does look like hand waving, I would say.

Come on Brent, I am the guy who gives 8 precise mathematical theories, three of them being concerned with the appearance of matter in arithmetic, and so are testable, and indeed confirmed by all experiences until now.

They do not show the appearance of matter, the persistence of objects, the shared reality.  You merely assume that they must...since otherwise your theory doesn't work.

I refer you to my two last papers(*), which contains also some difficult open problems.
You might try to ask specific questions.

/*Marchal B. The computationalist reformulation of the mind-body problem. Prog Biophys Mol Biol; 2013 Sep;113(1):127-40
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23567157
*/

A good example.  It's behind a paywall, but even the abstract shows that it all aspirational.  Nothing is proven about matter except that "If I'm right it must be provable."

" We will explain that*once we adopt the computationalist hypothesis*, which is a form of mechanist assumption, *we have to derive from it how our belief in the physical laws can emerge from *only* arithmetic* and classical computer science. In that sense we reduce the mind-body problem to a body problem appearance in computer science, or in arithmetic....The main point is that the derivation is constructive, and it provides the technical*means *to derive physics from arithmetic, and this*will make* the computationalist hypothesis empirically testable, and thus scientific in the Popperian analysis of science."

/*
Marchal B. The Universal Numbers. From Biology to Physics, Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology, 2015, Vol. 119, Issue 3, 368-381.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26140993*/

Now, if you read carefully the second part of my Sane04(*) or my “Plotinus paper" (larger public) talk, then, if you have read some introduction to G and G*, like Smullyan “Forever Undecided” of better” Boolos 1979” or even better “Boolos 1993”, you have all the ingredient to proceed, and certainly to ask precise and specific question.

OK.  What's your definition of matter?

Brent

/*B. Marchal. The Origin of Physical Laws and Sensations. In 4th International System Administration and Network Engineering Conference, SANE 2004, Amsterdam, 2004.
http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/SANE2004MARCHALAbstract.html
(sane04)

Marchal B. A Purely Arithmetical, yet Empirically Falsifiable, Interpretation of Plotinus’ Theory of Matter. In Barry Cooper S. Löwe B., Kent T. F. and Sorbi A., editors, Computation and Logic in the Real World, Third Conference on Computability in Europe June 18-23, pages 263–273. Universita degli studi di Sienna, Dipartimento di Roberto Magari, 2007.
http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/CiE2007/SIENA.pdf*/

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/39f9ebf7-7038-d236-7ddd-9436c04c3bc9%40verizon.net.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/AE6D1F0C-E294-4541-B1DA-03C3147F44BB%40ulb.ac.be <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/AE6D1F0C-E294-4541-B1DA-03C3147F44BB%40ulb.ac.be?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.