> On 10 Apr 2021, at 13:55, Alan Grayson <agrayson2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Saturday, April 10, 2021 at 5:21:46 AM UTC-6 Bruno Marchal wrote:
>> On 9 Apr 2021, at 06:42, Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com
>> <applewebdata://777D2C9B-973C-4A23-ABF2-27C89702223B>> wrote:
>>
>> When the box is closed, and before the measurement, why can't it be claimed
>> that the Cat is in a Mixed State, not a Superposition of States? Only the
>> latter leads to the paradox of a cat which is Alive and Dead simultaneously.
>> AG
>

> Because the Wave equation in this setting leads to a pure state dead+alive,
> and twe know that such pure state leads to different prediction than any
> possible corresponding mixed states. (Assuming the SWE).
>
> Without any mathematical representation of the individual states of Dead and
> Alive, how can it be claimed that Dead and Alive each satisfy the SWE?

By NOT adding the collapse postulate. Then even a state as “macroscopic” as
being a dead or alive cat will inherit the superposition ilmplied by
Schroedinger’s setting. That follows from the double linearly of both the wave
evolution and of the tensor products. The fact that a correct description would
use a huge number of dimension and a lot of tensor products cannot be used to
make the superposition going away.

> And how will the superposition of states Dead + Alive give different
> predictions than a mixed state of Dead and Alive? AG

Because all pure superposition state gives different predictions than their
corresponding mixed state. Of course, it is technologically hopeless to
maintain a real cat is a real superposition, but this is only due to our
technical impossibility to isolate the cat from us. The cat state will leak to
us very quickly, and we will lose the mean to get the sign of interferences.
Yet, without assuming some collapse, it is there forever…

That is a confirmation of mechanism, where an infinity of distinguishable
computations access our (relative) states, and makes us possibly diverging into
an infinity of alternate histories/computations.

The burden of the proof belongs to those who claim that there is an ontological
physical reality, but then you got the “mind-body” problem, the “why there is
something” problem, and also, you need to speculate of a non mechanist theory
in psychology and biology (making Darwin loosing all its explanative power).

There are tuns of evidences for Mechanism, and none for Materialism, as we know
since the Dream Argument, given that “evidences” are dream-able.

(Many people confuse the evidences for the physical laws, which are number
relations, with evidences for an ontological physical universes, but those are
different. The ontological question is a metaphysical question, not a physical
question. It is to used in any paper of physics, even if implicit in the mind
of some cosmologists … perhaps.

Bruno