On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 1:21 AM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

* > If you notice, our radiation to space has decreased as we have used
> higher frequencies and more directed communication (like fiber optics and
> directional antennae) and as we compress and encrypt the radiation will
> look more and more thermal.*

That's true, the Earth's radio signature became much more random looking
after June 12 2009. On that date all TV transmitters in the USA switched
over from analog to digital. This made things more difficult for a
hypothetical ET to infer from radio alone that intelligent life exists on
the planet for two reasons:

1) Digital TV transmitters use far less power than the analog variety.

2) An analog TV signal obviously came from a technological civilization,
but if you didn't know the particular compression codec used by digital
broadcasters in the USA , and ET wouldn't, then the signal would *almost*
look like white noise. The compression is not perfect, that's why I said
"almost".

However there is more to life than radio so I don't think this can be used
as an excuse to explain away the no show of ET. If an intelligent
civilization had existed in the galaxy for millions or billions of years
then I don't think you'd need a radio to detect it, such an advanced
civilization would be obvious to a blind man in a fog bank.

oo6