On 30-01-2022 14:29, John Clark wrote:
On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 6:15 AM Lawrence Crowell
<goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com> wrote:

_> Whether we develop an AI that surpasses us and continues is
rather speculative._

I don't think it's speculative at all, in fact I think it's
inevitable. The entire human genome only contains 750 Megabytes, the
baby Albert Einstein didn't have any more than that but in the next
few decades he received additional information from the environment,
enough to enable him to figure out General Relativity. The minimum
amount of information a seed AI that contains a similar learning
algorithm needs must be far less than 750 Megabytes because the human
genome contains an enormous amount of redundancy and has information
about a lot of other organs not just the brain. By way of comparison
the new Apple Mac operating system is about 20 times larger than
Albert Einstein's genome.

_I have neither opinion about that particularly, though I think
there is a general Pinocchio__ problem with this. _

I admit that humans may never be able to fully understand how an AI
could be made, but that doesn't mean an AI could never be built.

Researchers Build AI That Builds AI [1]

_I am not sure there are many biologically complex and active
planets in any galaxy. Given we occurred in 10^{-5} of Earth's
duration I suspect intelligent life is rare. _

I agree because an intelligent civilization could send a Von Neumann
probe to every star in the galaxy in less than 50 million years even
if we make the ridiculously conservative assumption that their
spacecraft could move no faster than ours can. And we would have
certainly notice that if they had.

_> The nearest ETI on our past light cone could be 10s of millions
of light years away._

I think we could be the only intelligent species in the observable
universe, but if not and we ever did find a signal from a civilization
at roughly our technological level that would be very bad news because
it would mean civilizations always run into an existential catastrophe
of some sort when they reach about our level of development.

 John K Clark    See what's on my new list at  Extropolis [2]

The problems we have with limiting our CO2 emissions suggests that we will be wiped out sooner or later as a result of processes that power the economy. The more progress we make with AI systems, robots that eliminate human work, the more growth potential the economy will get. At some point we'll have fully self-maintaining and self-replicating factories. Such systems don't need to be very intelligent, just like most biological self-replicating machines aren't very intelligent either. Also, this development is then driven by economic growth, not by de desire of some people to get to very intelligent AI systems.

But once you have an economy that is sun by autonomous, relatively dumb machines that maintain and build each other, it's only a matter of time before this machine version of biology will end up destroying the original biology. At some point a mutation will arise that causes some machines to produce poisonous substances but which also improves these machines. The production of poisonous and even radioactive compounds that don't harm the machines, will steadily grow over time. This will cause a mass extinction. It's then quite analogous to the great oxygenation event:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oxidation_Event

The original creators of the machine economy will be powerless to stop this, because everything depends on everything else in this machine ecology. They would have to eradicate the entire system, which is far harder than it is for us to simply stop dumping CO2 into the atmosphere. They would have become so dependent on the machine economy that they wouldn't be able to survive without it. So, it can also be compared to cancer that has spread and has become incurable: Eradicating the cancer will also kill the patient.

The James Webb Telescope may end up finding habitable planets via biosignatures of complex organic molecules in the atmosphere, but it may also find evidence of strange planets where the atmosphere contains significant amounts of poisonous compounds for which a natural explanation is unknown. There may be planets where a machine ecology exists that produces lots of tritium. This can be detected, if you replace hydrogen by tritium in some compound then that affects the moment of inertia of the molecule and thereby the rotational energy levels. Curiously, these planets will typically be Earthlike planets in the habitable zone.

Saibal