On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 9:29 PM smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl> wrote:

> On 07-03-2022 23:01, Bruce Kellett wrote:
> >
> > You have not demonstrated this -- you have merely assumed it. Zero out
> > of ten for your explanatory effort. I am still waiting for someone who
> > actually understands the problem to explain how MWI can give a local
> > account of these correlations.
> >
> > Bruce
>
> The setting of the polarizers are also the result of only local
> interactions. Processes in your brain determine how you will end up
> choosing the setting of your polarizer. If the settings were not a
> priori agreed (a set of different setting can be agreed a priori for a
> Bell test), then that only makes the situation a bit more complex, you
> end up in a superposition of different polarizer settings and in each
> sector for a definite polarizer setting you are in a superposition of
> the different spin outcomes. This extra layer of complexity does not
> change anything.
>
> As far as the explanation of the correlation is concerned, this follows
> the derivation of the correlations using quantum mechanics. For example,
> for two spins in the singlet state one can take Alice's results of up
> and down spins, represented by plus and minus 1's respectively, and
> Bob's up and down results are assigned the opposite signs. Measurements
> are done for an angle theta between the polarizers, the fraction of
> differences in the string of ones and minus ones is evaluated. This is
> repeated for an angle of 2*theta. Then for certain values of theta the
> fraction of differences become more than twice as large when the angle
> is doubled, this is inconsistent with local hidden variable theories due
> to the fact that the differences can be interpreted as mutations in one
> string and doubling the angle would then amount to adding the same
> fraction of mutations twice over. The maximum fraction of mutations
> would then be doubled if there is zero overlap, in case of an overlap
> would be less than double. It's impossible to increase the fraction of
> mutations by more than a factor of 2.
>
> While this then excludes a local hidden variable theory underlying
> quantum mechanics, there is nothing nonlocal about quantum mechanics
> itself. Every step is a local process here, from the choice to set the
> polarizers, the creation of the entangled spin pairs, the measurement
> process etc. etc. That the correlations one observes cannot be explained
> by a local hidden variable theory, is a problem for such local hidden
> variable theories. There isn't (for all we know now) a hidden variable
> theory underlying quantum mechanics, nor is there anything in the
> dynamics (except for objective collapse) that's inherently nonlocal.
>
> So, I don't see where the problem is.

The problem is that you have not given a local explanation of the
correlations. I agree that all local interactions are local. But there is a
non-local effect arising from the non-separability of the entangled singlet
state. You have not explained how this can be accounted for locally --
certainly not in the context of a many worlds, non-collapse, theory. MWI
does not remove the inherent non-locality of the non-separable quantum
state.

Bruce