On Fri, Apr 8, 2022 at 1:42 PM smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl> wrote:

> On 08-04-2022 00:45, Bruce Kellett wrote:
> >
> > It has nothing to do with realism. Local physics is completely defined
> > by what happens at the individual spacetime points. But that does not
> > imply that variables have definite values before they are measured. We
> > allow for stochastic dependence on the physics at local spacetime
> > points and also allow for MWI -- the operation of the deterministic
> > Schrodinger equation giving every possible outcome on  every
> > interaction. If you are not careful, you are going to make MWI
> > realistic. The Humean assumption underlies any local theory, including
> > MWI if that can be shown to be local. It is not intrinsically realist.
> >
> > Locality implies separability. If you disagree, show me the
> > mathematics of a local state (referring to distinct spacetime points)
> > that is not separable -- without begging the question, that is!
> >

> Locality refers to the dynamics of a theory, not to properties of some
> particular state.

The properties of the state refer to the dynamics of the underlying
interactions. In quantum mechanics, the state vector tells you everything
that can be known about the consequences of the underlying dynamics.

In classical physics, you don't have non-separable
> states, but you can get to non-local correlations using only local
> dynamics.

Only in the trivial, everyday, sense of Bertlmann's socks.

In QM you can get to non-separable states using only local
> dynamics.

The non-separable state may be created at a single spacetime point, but
that is not a relevant consideration if the parts then move apart.

The mere fact that you can have non-classical entangled states
> does not imply that the dynamics of the theory is non-local

The fact of non-separable entangled states, which are unique to quantum
mechanics, does imply non-locality.
Vide above....
You still have not shown me this magical local state that is non-separable.

Bruce